ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Switching to StartPage from DuckDuckGo

<< < (2/2)

4wd:
If they are so good at protecting privacy, why do they need to track which browser I'm using in their URL?

https://startpage.com/do/search?query=%s&cat=web&pl=chrome&language=english-Deozaan (October 12, 2013, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Who says they're tracking you?

They may include that so they can serve the page so it displays in every browser the same or they just want to know what the browser ratio is to their site.

Data Collection

We don't collect any personal information on our visitors. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

When you use Startpage, we do not record your IP address, we do not record which browser you are using (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome etc.), we do not record your computer platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.), and we do not record your search words or phrases. In fact, the only information we do record is an aggregate total of how many searches are performed on our website each day (a measure of overall traffic), and those overall traffic numbers broken down by language, and statistics on a purely aggregate level.
--- End quote ---

If it's such a concern, change it to pl=ff for Firefox, or just delete it.

How did you end up with that?-ewemoa (October 12, 2013, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

By using the Custom plugin or Generate URL under Settings on StartPage.

BTW, yesterday it had Custom plugin there, now I've only got Generate URL ... ?

ewemoa:
By using the Custom plugin or Generate URL under Settings on StartPage.
-4wd (October 12, 2013, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
I've used Startpage for years because they at least attempt some privacy protections.

But I do have to say the results list is in fact only second best. Occasionally I have had to go over to Bad Ol' Google for some high grade results!

So that's a little surprising because if it was just a pass through of Google the lists would match. But they're using some kind of blended subset.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version