ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google's Storage Problem

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
Thanks @Deozaan. Do you think you might be in a position to do a mini-review of BitTorrent Sync?-IainB (October 29, 2013, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Possibly. But the trouble is finding (read: making) the time for it.

So here's my mini-mini-review:

It's good. Use it. :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
So here's my mini-mini-review:

It's good. Use it. :Thmbsup:-Deozaan (October 29, 2013, 05:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent synopsis...but I can't use it, because it's not available for the Windows phone. :(

Vurbal:
Yeah but there's already consumer products on the shelves that do this- the MyCloud device I mentioned that I installed at work, I picked that up off the shelf at Staples when replacing an external hard drive.

Instead of having to install and configure such a solution, you can just buy a device that is web-configured like any other soho box and have a ready to use private cloud with the data physically located in a stand alone device in your household- or anywhere convenient with suitable network access. It even attempts to upnp its way through your router if enabled, or you can configure the ports manually for those so inclined.
-SeraphimLabs (October 25, 2013, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

You should actually be able to get something comparable by using a Turnkey Linux OwnCloud VM. The nice thing about Turnkey Linux is it's an entirely appliance oriented setup which utilizes standardized web interfaces, most commonly Webmin IIRC, to provide as user friendly and consistent an interface as possible. Since each appliance is designed for a narrowly defined purpose the basic configuration is typically fairly complete by default.

I've been thinking about converting my older Linux server to run a handful of Turnkey Linux VMs to simplify and segregate functionality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version