ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only person bothered by the differences in Free?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Renegade:
WTFPL FTW!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Many font designers handle this in a very clever way. If you go to their sites for a freebie, you often discover you need to register first to download. All their no-charge fonts go in their shopping cart just like everything else they offer does. An invoice gets generated with a total of $0 which gets emailed to the 'buyer' along with the download link plus a copy of the license. Brilliant!
-40hz (October 08, 2013, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, now that you point this out, this is exactly what I told my wife to do, but didn't take my own advice.  She's a photographer, and to build up her name/portfolio, she regularly does stuff for free (especially for the kids in the neighborhood/friends of my kids).  I told her to generate invoices and put down the price of her services discounted to zero rather than just doing it for free, so that they and others could see the value that they were getting.  Makes a lot of sense, even if it does involve more work.

40hz:
Tipo Type does a "pay what you want or a Tweet" thing that I also think is very smart. See here. Grab a copy of Rufina while you're at it. It's a lovely font!

Lookee here!

Consider...just because you're willing to give something away doesn't also mean nobody is willing to pay for it. Many people (myself included) are happier paying at least something for a product they know they're going to use.

Why just leave money on the table (or miss out on some FB or Twitter buzz) when you don't have to?

skwire:
I was thinking more along the lines of a DBAD license.

The Don't Be A Dick|Douchebag|Dumbass|Dork|Dillweed|Dipshit License

1) You are welcome to use the software at no charge.  DBAD.
2) A good faith effort has been made so that the software does what it says.  That said, you, the user, are not guaranteed anything.  DBAD.
3) Use at your own risk; the author shall not be held liable for damages arising from the use of the software.  DBAD.
4) Unless offered of the author's own volition, the author is under no obligation to provide source code.  You, the user, are not entitled to it simply because the software is offered at no charge.  DBAD.
5) Above all, DBAD.

Renegade:
I was thinking more along the lines of a DBAD license.

The Don't Be A Dick|Douchebag|Dumbass|Dork|Dillweed|Dipshit License

1) You are welcome to use the software at no charge.  DBAD.
2) A good faith effort has been made so that the software does what it says.  That said, you, the user, are not guaranteed anything.  DBAD.
3) Use at your own risk; the author shall not be held liable for damages arising from the use of the software.  DBAD.
4) Unless offered of the author's own volition, the author is under no obligation to provide source code.  You, the user, are not entitled to it simply because the software is offered at no charge.  DBAD.
5) Above all, DBAD.
-skwire (October 08, 2013, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version