ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

self-hosted, high quality video podcast. How?

<< < (3/4) > >>

superboyac:
I don't know how ambitious you are, but Jupiter Broadcasting (producers of the Linux Action Show, CodeSnap, Unfilter, etc.) like these guys a lot. I'm a fairly regular watcher of their shows and I have to admit the quality and speed of the video stream coming through this new supplier is vastly superior to anything they had before. It even works great streaming to an iPhone on a 3G network.
-40hz (October 08, 2013, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
This looks like a great suggestion, I would have never come across it.  I'm completely open to using services, I just am very wary of most popular ones because they tend to have more ads, are more expensive, and make me feel duped.

I was just looking at their pricing schemes:
https://www.scaleengine.com/pricing/

I like it a lot, very fair, very flexible.  This may be the one.

superboyac:
Here's a question:
For that video content delivery service, the maximum video bitrate in the pricing calculator is 3072 kbps.  Now, from what I understand, 1080p streaming requires at least 10Mbps.  I'm just going strictly by the bytes per second of video for that resolution.  SO I'm not understanding something about compression as it relates to streaming.  How can a company deliver 1080p with just 3Mbps?  But ultimately, I want to know how the kbps that I am paying for ends up looking like.  So...

How many kbps do I need to pay for to get:
480p?
720p?
1080p?

because obviously it's not the same as the kbps calculated for a normal 1080p file, which is a lot more than most isp's even provide residentially, yet all these people are able to stream 720p and 1080p.

Vurbal:
Here's a question:
For that video content delivery service, the maximum video bitrate in the pricing calculator is 3072 kbps.  Now, from what I understand, 1080p streaming requires at least 10Mbps.  I'm just going strictly by the bytes per second of video for that resolution.  SO I'm not understanding something about compression as it relates to streaming.  How can a company deliver 1080p with just 3Mbps?  But ultimately, I want to know how the kbps that I am paying for ends up looking like.  So...

480p?
720p?
1080p?

because obviously it's not the same as the kbps calculated for a normal 1080p file, which is a lot more than most isp's even provide residentially, yet all these people are able to stream 720p and 1080p.
-superboyac (October 08, 2013, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have time to answer with anything approaching the level of detail this discussion deserves ATM so for the moment I'll be shockingly brief.  :o

As long as there isn't a lot of motion to encode and you don't have to meet a standard like Blu-ray with severe restrictions on GOP length you can actually encode extremely high quality 1080p H.264 at extremely low bitrates. Screen captures from normal computer activity, typically the lowest complexity video you'll run across, can actually end up with a lower bitrate than CD Audio. Presumably you're talking about regular live video (talking heads or the like) which would be less compressible but if you use a good camera still not horrible.

The really tricky part is the streaming bit because it's a lot trickier than encoding for physical media. Essentially it comes down mostly to buffer calculations and understanding the streams and server technology involved. I recommend a trip over to the Doom9 forums where you can pick the brains of some of the best minds in digital video.

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Renegade:
This is sort of off-topic (i.e. not about bandwidth for streaming), but on-topic for video podcasting:

http://www.corbettreport.com/episode-283-solutions-make-your-own-media/

Show notes minus embedded linksDocumentation

APPerspective.net
Time Reference:   01:39

Blogger.com
Time Reference:   05:30

WordPress.com
Time Reference:   05:49

Desmogblog lies about Climategate.tv
Time Reference:   07:00

Free teleprompter software
Time Reference:   10:53

Final Cut Pro
Time Reference:   19:22

Audacity
Time Reference:   20:12

Levelator
Time Reference:   20:39

HV30
Time Reference:   21:39

EOS 70D
Time Reference:   22:03

Zoom H6
Time Reference:   23:00

AT803 Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone
Time Reference:   23:13

Shure SM58
Time Reference:   23:29

JuicedLink
Time Reference:   24:08

“Do It Yourself” Original song by David C Russell
Time Reference:   49:28

superboyac:
Here's a question:

480p?
720p?
1080p?

-superboyac (October 08, 2013, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have time to answer with anything approaching the level of detail this discussion deserves ATM so for the moment I'll be shockingly brief.  :o

As long as there isn't a lot of motion to encode and you don't have to meet a standard like Blu-ray with severe restrictions on GOP length you can actually encode extremely high quality 1080p H.264 at extremely low bitrates. Screen captures from normal computer activity, typically the lowest complexity video you'll run across, can actually end up with a lower bitrate than CD Audio. Presumably you're talking about regular live video (talking heads or the like) which would be less compressible but if you use a good camera still not horrible.

The really tricky part is the streaming bit because it's a lot trickier than encoding for physical media. Essentially it comes down mostly to buffer calculations and understanding the streams and server technology involved. I recommend a trip over to the Doom9 forums where you can pick the brains of some of the best minds in digital video.

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77
-Vurbal (October 08, 2013, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's kind of what I was assuming.  I thought the buffers had something do do with getting around bandwidth issues.  I don't know how it translates calculation-wise...the question is still "How much kbps do I need?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version