ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

self-hosted, high quality video podcast. How?

<< < (2/4) > >>

superboyac:
I just learned about an open source video streaming software called Open Broadcasting Software.  I'll check it out later.

Ren, I'm not trying to get exposure or upload anything right now.  I'm exploring the video streaming technology and trying to see how much of it can be done independently, how much it costs, how does it compare to hosted (easier) solutions.

It may very well turn out that it's just way easier to use ustream or stageit or something like that.  But the way I see it, I should be able to do it myself.  I have all the equipment for sure, the software is either free or relatively cheap.  The thing I'd need services for is bandwidth if there were more than a few people watching, which probably means a little bit more expensive webhost plan.  The other additional problem may be trying to do things like embedding a live cast in facebook or youtube.  First thing I'd try is to have a blank webpage with just a video stream in it, and I'll expand from there.

Renegade:
So, you're interested in live streaming primarily? The title led me to believe something different.

superboyac:
So, you're interested in live streaming primarily? The title led me to believe something different.
-Renegade (October 08, 2013, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes exactly.  I want to see how "good" I can make it without any services or minimal services from others.  Just live.

Once recorded, there are zillions of options, no big deal.  I already have youtube channels, vimeo channels, websites, etc.  But to do something live is another dimension.

Renegade:
YouTube does have some kind of live streaming. Every now and then I see some rock concert or something streamed live on it. You might want to check that. Not sure how it works though.

40hz:
I don't know how ambitious you are, but Jupiter Broadcasting (producers of the Linux Action Show, CodeSnap, Unfilter, etc.) like these guys a lot. I'm a fairly regular watcher of their shows and I have to admit the quality and speed of the video stream coming through this new supplier is vastly superior to anything they had before. It even works great streaming to an iPhone on a 3G network.

I don't know how pricing works in this market. But from what I looked at, they seemed quite reasonable. They also have a comparison of their prices to about a dozen other streaming media services you can look at.

I really liked that opening line - Consider this: "You don't get what you pay for, you get what you get".

So true...so true. :-\

Price Comparisons

Consider this: "You don't get what you pay for, you get what you get". Below you will find tables comparing our rates to those of our major competitors, as well as some notes explaining the differences between their service and ours. Tweet

BrightSign
    Streamzilla
    UStream
    BrightCove
    LimeLight
    Wistia
    Dacast
    Amazon CloudFront and S3
    Rackspace CloudFiles
    CacheFly
    SoftLayer
    EdgeCast