ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only person that has a real big problem with software like this?

<< < (20/21) > >>

wraith808:
In light of that, I'll recuse myself from this discussion going forward.
-40hz (October 08, 2013, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well that's a downer since you're the one that started it. :(  Conversation ended more surely than the invocation of Godwin's Law.

40hz:
In light of that, I'll recuse myself from this discussion going forward.
-40hz (October 08, 2013, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well that's a downer since you're the one that started it. :(  Conversation ended more surely than the invocation of Godwin's Law.
-wraith808 (October 08, 2013, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It shouldn't have to.

I tend to look at the larger societal picture every time I look at technology. Because in my mind, discussing a technology divorced from the user (and the society he/she lives in) is meaningless.

Just because I think about and see it that way doesn't mean everyone else has to. :P

And mouser has said he prefers political aspects be kept to a minimum unless you want take your discussion out on the back porch, away from the family dinner table.

I can respect that. :)

Renegade:
I think it makes complete sense to the people behind PRISM over at the NSA. That's pretty much been their argument all along.

They keep insisting they're not spying on Americans. They're just collecting metadata - and they only really look at what they collect if they think there's a problem.
-40hz (October 08, 2013, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

You do have a point.

I would only ask how much difference there is between the NSA/government and parents when it comes to actually caring. I somehow doubt that the former really cares about people, whereas the latter do care about their children. This for me is an important distinction. i.e. What are the motivating factors behind the behaviour? (Again, I'm coming out with my Kantian leanings.)

Renegade:
I tend to look at the larger societal picture every time I look at technology. Because in my mind, discussing a technology divorced from its the user (and the society he/she lives in) is meaningless.
-40hz (October 08, 2013, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, more good points that I certainly wouldn't disagree with. You're quite correct.

But as I just mentioned above, are you divorcing the underlying motivations behind the behaviour and their intended purposes? (Well, I didn't mention purposes above, but hopefully it could be inferred.)

App103 made similar points as you about the slippery slope of Pavlovian conditioning (though she didn't phrase it as such).

Stoic Joker:
I would only ask how much difference there is between the NSA/government and parents when it comes to actually caring. I somehow doubt that the former really cares about people, whereas the latter do care about their children.-Renegade (October 08, 2013, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say none. These things always start with a desire to care for/protect X. But than as circumstances extenuate more stringent measures are needed. So before anybody realizes what's happening an NSA class invasion is born.

Baby steps and good intentions...that, is precisely how anything goes to shit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version