ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only person that has a real big problem with software like this?

<< < (18/21) > >>

40hz:
But it seems that with counter-examples it's rather strange that there is *no* give... sort of like the people on the other side of other arguments.
-wraith808 (October 07, 2013, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh...well...that's probably because I think the entire premise behind this product is fundamentally wrong on so many levels that I can't see a ray of light anywhere in it.

But I'm a child of the counter-culture era (even if I never really was a part of it) so I guess an occasional lapse into intransigence is to be expected from my kind. ;D

8) ;)

Let those who can understand this, understand this.

Renegade:
Y'know... I was brain farting, and it occurred to me that there's a bit of a disconnect in this thread (maybe more than 1).

Specifically, the difference between "monitoring" and "logging".

From the techie-type perspective, if I'm monitoring something, I've got that piece of software running and I'm consulting it every so often.

Logging on the other hand is completely different. I just log stuff and forget about it. Then, if there's a problem, I go back and check to find out a bit about the problem and hopefully get some idea about how to solve it.

Does that make any sense? I don't feel like typing anymore.

Stoic Joker:
But seriously, after all I've told you about how I handle things, after all that y0himba told you about how he handles things, after valuing the ability of the parent to make a decision for good or bad and do what they are supposed to do...-wraith808 (October 07, 2013, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hay man, it's all good if it's working for you, but there are 2 sides to everything. I can think of half a dozen or more names of kids that I died while I was growing up as they finally got out of a repressive monitoring oriented culture that encouraged strict child control. Because when they (the children) finally realized that for the first time...there really was nobody "watching" ... They handled it badly.

So you have my sincerest wish that this does indeed work as well as you have it planned. But please understand that I have seen first hand just how badly it can go.
-Stoic Joker (October 07, 2013, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess my thing is what Ren said earlier- it varies based on the child and the situation.  And for as many instances as I've seen, and as many as you've seen, it's just a drop in the bucket.
-wraith808 (October 07, 2013, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that one I'll give you.

But I'm also in the same boat with 40hz, because we're both from the same - Screw the man - generation.

TaoPhoenix:
But I'm also in the same boat with 40hz, because we're both from the same - Screw the man - generation.
-Stoic Joker (October 08, 2013, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Haha! Yay linkages!

Because see my "concept posts" in NANY! I'm designing the software that will do that for us!

"Don't make the Voters angry. You wouldn't like them when they share votes when they are angry!

:D

Heh sorry if I'm a little chattery about this, but it is my Million Dollar Dream for next year! Because it also changes all forum discussions (for me at least!) forever.

Because for any topic, you get opinions. So then maybe with a shorthand and/or attachment files, you can ask "so what does your opinion mean on who you want to vote for?" It brings back any concept ever into the people's hands of what one power that hasn't been taken away yet!

It's also a filter. If you're busy you can skip 35 posts and watch for someone's Projected Vote notation. So of course y'all have great points. But in a busy moment the Projected Votes are *numbers*.

-0.2368% Ted Cruz! : )

40hz:
Logging on the other hand is completely different. I just log stuff and forget about it. Then, if there's a problem, I go back and check to find out a bit about the problem and hopefully get some idea about how to solve it.

Does that make any sense? I don't feel like typing anymore.
-Renegade (October 08, 2013, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Umm...

I think it makes complete sense to the people behind PRISM over at the NSA. That's pretty much been their argument all along.

They keep insisting they're not spying on Americans. They're just collecting metadata - and they only really look at what they collect if they think there's a problem.

Spying...monitoring...collecting...logging...

It's all word games that try to make exceptionally fine grained (and often wholly imaginary) distinctions based on the intent behind the act. But the mechanisms behind the act itself are the same no matter what the original intent. Which is why I consider what this product does to be categorically wrong.

The mere existence of a technology argues for its use. And justifications (limited only by our imagination to concoct 'what-if' scenarios) soon follow.

So while it's true that technology can be used for good or ill, some technologies have a greater potential to commit harm. And more to the point, some technologies provide capabilities that almost beg to be abused.

Surveillance technologies beg to be abused. And if the Snowden revelations have shown anything about this technology, they've shown us that the temptation to 'abuse and extend' is apparently too great to resist. Especially when it comes to the people most entrusted not to abuse these capabilities.

Surveillance technology is a drug. And addiction, in the guise of "mission creep" (that clever euphemism for abuse and violation of trust) inevitably follows. My company made a conscious decision not to get involved in any of this technology several years ago. But we have worked in places where it was heavily employed so we have direct experience in seeing where it all too often leads.

We may have lost some business because of that decision.

But we also saved our company's soul.

Worth it IMHO. :)

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version