ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only person that has a real big problem with software like this?

<< < (16/21) > >>

wraith808:
My children know they have absolutely no expectation of privacy when it comes to the Internet, their phones, the television Etc.  I monitor them, and then counsel them. After so long  being monitored, it has actually had the effect of creating trust and respect between my children and I, as well as teaching right from wrong.  When I was a child, we didn't have the devices and access we do now, yet I still was monitored and had no privacy.  As a child it got under my skin due to the fact our maturing brains work that way, but taught me the right lessons.  As an adult I see the benefits and reasons for monitoring.

I can honestly say, after watching what they do for so long, that I monitor them now more for keeping them away from links or people that specifically prey on children.  Whether it be for monetary reasons or for other, more sick reasons.
-y0himba (October 07, 2013, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

You have said it a lot better than I apparently have.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.

While it may "take a village" to raise a child (and I have my doubts about that theory folk mantra as well) it certainly doesn't require software and an electronic device to do it.
-40hz (October 07, 2013, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hate that saying. ;)
-Renegade (October 07, 2013, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hate the fact that it is a saying and a quip.. but I can agree with the sentiment.

Stoic Joker:
When I was a child, we didn't have the devices and access we do now, yet I still was monitored and had no privacy.  As a child it got under my skin due to the fact our maturing brains work that way, but taught me the right lessons.  As an adult I see the benefits and reasons for monitoring.-y0himba (October 07, 2013, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I believe that's referred to as a behavioral cycle, where certain patterns of activity are experience over an extended period of time so that they become perceived as "normal" and are then repeated as opportunity presents.

Just because something starts with the best and purest of intentions doesn't mean it is going to end well. Because these are precisely the type of intentions the road to hell is paved with.

People who are taught the benefits of monitoring and being monitored will be more receptive to additional protective steps. Little Sally had a tracker and it helped find her in the woods. Grandma had a tracker and it helped us finder her when she wandered of in a snow storm ... Maybe I should have a tracker so I could get help faster if I ever have a flat! ...Because it always safest for anyone if people know where they're at. And since it's so hard to remember to carry and charge a cell phone, we can just have ourselves chipped so the beacon can always be on as it's powered by our bodies...and can keep track of our health too! Hell we should just let the police handle the whole thing because they're good at things like that, and are already equipped for rapid response ... After all they're here to help us ... Right?

Sure looks like a frog in a pot to me.

40hz:
You can teach a child to accept anything as "normal" if you get to them early enough, pound it into their heads long enough, and make it clear to them that they are constantly being watched and can expect punishment if the slightest show of reluctance or disobedience is detected.

The travesty of "child soldiers" is proof enough of that, as are those state sponsored "youth movements" that crop under most repressive regimes shortly after they attain power.

Electronic monitoring is a tool. As is the taking away of "any expectation of personal privacy." While it may make some people feel "safer" or "more responsible" in their duty to society and family, it is also instilling a potentially hazardous meme in the mind of someone who is too young to question it before it becomes a part of their accepted "reality.".

Slippery slope indeed. :huh:

wraith808:
Electronic monitoring is a tool. As is the taking away of "any expectation of personal privacy." While it may make some people feel "safer" or "more responsible" in their duty to society and family, it is also instilling a potentially hazardous meme in the mind of someone who is too young to question it before it becomes a part of their accepted "reality.".
-40hz (October 07, 2013, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not if done correctly.  I had very little privacy when I was a child from my parents, but I had it from everyone else.  In fact, was a private child and am a private person.  These things had no bearing on each other.

40hz:
Not if done correctly.
-wraith808 (October 07, 2013, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a pretty big qualifier IMHO! ;D

Sorry. I'm not that sanguine an individual. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version