ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only person that has a real big problem with software like this?

<< < (12/21) > >>

wraith808:
It might be worth noting that not all kids are made from cookie-cutters, and they're not all the same. Some kids probably need more attention/monitoring than others.
-Renegade (October 06, 2013, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's a very good point- and a part of that equation of paying attention.

(Cynical rant about state-sponsored schools being cookie-cutters omitted.)
-Renegade (October 06, 2013, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good... because then I'd have to join you. :)

TaoPhoenix:
...  I mean... that you'd want to prevent people from making things based on what they could be used for...

...just saying...  >:D (there's no devil emote for devil's advocate... hmm...)
-wraith808 (October 05, 2013, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm. Well first of all Wraith, thanks for taking the "difficult" side of this discussion on a board with a strong emphasis on free speech!

However, somewhere about page 2 of the thread another new problem occurred to me!

These kinds of apps only have use "in the Cry Wolf" scenario when you think the kid is at risk. But when did we decide in our "test cases" that the *evildoer was ... stupid*? I'll even be nice and not count the "hacking" scenario. Isn't minute 33 of any 43 min drama "throwing the GPS phone away into the bushes"? And when the script writer thinks of it and allows another 10 min for it, I just wondered why a 2 man team isn't doing the evildoing? One man is the "GPS decoy" who just sits in the "approved spot" with the phone while the other does the evil?

Isn't THAT the flaw?

TaoPhoenix:

But again, going back to what I've been harping on about age... Is it a bad idea to monitor small children that are prone to getting lost?

-Renegade (October 05, 2013, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. Because the "trouble spots" are "in reverse, aka Black Sheep or Cry Wolf".

99.44% of the markers will be False Negatives.

The whole social system was designed on "hand-offs". Drop your kid at School, 7-9 classes depending on your school's version, pick your kid up at school. Or, with a bus involved, the only "hot spot" is at like 4PM when the kid is supposed to be on the bus but any really grade A *kid's bus driver* (as opposed to bored city drivers who don't care!) knows their route. So the driver Maydays the Principal on the Red Line if X kid isn't there before the bus has to leave.

So there is too small of a use % for Always On monitoring. Hence why we're all nervous that the Dev isn't holding a hole card separate from the sales ad copy.

app103:
So, how many of you here have had your privacy violated by a spying parent that thought they had the right to do that? How many of you had a parent that went rummaging through your "private thoughts" looking for something to hang you for? How many of you can really speak from the violated child's point of view? How many of you know first hand how damaging that is to a child, the relationship with that parent, what it does to any trust that child has in that parent, and how difficult it is to fix the damage once it is done? How many of you know first hand what happens after the child finds out?

Let's see a show of hands.

Am I the only one with my hand up?

For those of you that couldn't put your hand up, let me tell you what it feels like. It's mental and emotional rape. It shattered any and all trust I had in that parent. I felt set up, betrayed. And I never got over it. And our relationship has never recovered. That parent instantly became the last person in the world I would open up to and share anything with, the last person in the world I would go to for help if I was in trouble. And oh, boy, did I get into a ton of trouble in the years that followed. To be perfectly honest, I am pretty lucky to be alive today.

You want to go there with your kids? You think it will be different? You think somehow you are a better parent or your kids won't react like I did when you betray their trust in you? You think they will get over it and it won't do permanent damage to them or your relationship with them? You think they will still care what you think and feel about anything that has to do with them and their life, afterwards? You think they will still want your respect? Work hard to live up to your expectations? Try not to disappoint you?

I hope for your sake and the sake of your kids that you are right. But if you are wrong, don't say nobody ever warned you.

wraith808:
So, how many of you here have had your privacy violated by a spying parent that thought they had the right to do that? How many of you had a parent that went rummaging through your "private thoughts" looking for something to hang you for? How many of you can really speak from the violated child's point of view? How many of you know first hand how damaging that is to a child, the relationship with that parent, what it does to any trust that child has in that parent, and how difficult it is to fix the damage once it is done? How many of you know first hand what happens after the child finds out?

Let's see a show of hands.

Am I the only one with my hand up?
-app103 (October 06, 2013, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me.  And though I was mad at the time, in retrospect, it saved my life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version