ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only person that has a real big problem with software like this?

<< < (3/21) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I think we have a serious scale issue going on here, between black and white/all or none assertion. How many people remember the old commercials with the tag line "It's 10 O'clock...do you know where your children are?" Here's a hint for those that don't remember them...they're from the 1970s!

Now, Orwell time - the scale part kicks in. In the 1970s it was simply a matter of asking the kids where they were going, who they were going with...and paying attention to the GD answer. That was called parenting. But our society has devolved to the point where there isn't time to pay proper attention to much of anything so why not offload the whole parenting responsibility crap on technology! YEAH! Let the computer keep track of the little monsters...I don't have time.

Seriously???

Have we really sunk to the point where Orwellian monitoring of our children is considered proper? Instead of taking the time to build a rapport of respect and trust with them??!?

The real key problem here is that if the kid has a GPS target painted on their back, then they're just as easy for anyone to find...and not all anyones have said child's best interests in mind. But yet we have obviously been trained to accept the idea of Big Brother-esq monitoring systems as righteous and good ... Because it's... For. The. Children.

The fact of the matter is that if the kid wants to get lost. They're going to get lost. technology be damned.

tomos:
I think we have a serious scale issue going on here, between black and white/all or none assertion.-Stoic Joker (October 04, 2013, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
^
I'd agree.

Have we really sunk to the point where Orwellian monitoring of our children is considered proper? Instead of taking the time to build a rapport of respect and trust with them??!?
-Stoic Joker (October 04, 2013, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
-
I have mixed feelings about this whole issue - but in fairness SJ, monitoring does *not* exclude "taking the time to build a rapport of respect and trust with them".
I think if your kids dont talk to you about things that they see/experience that they might find uncomfortable or worse, you're both in trouble anyway, monitoring or no :-(

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---
-
I have mixed feelings about this whole issue - but in fairness SJ, monitoring does *not* exclude "taking the time to build a rapport of respect and trust with them".
I think if your kids dont talk to you about things that they see/experience that they might find uncomfortable or worse, you're both in trouble anyway, monitoring or no :-(
-tomos (October 04, 2013, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hear Ya man ... But it's a theory vs. practice game. In theory it doesn't...but in practice *Sigh*

Renegade:
I think we have a serious scale issue going on here, between black and white/all or none assertion. How many people remember the old commercials with the tag line "It's 10 O'clock...do you know where your children are?" Here's a hint for those that don't remember them...they're from the 1970s!

Now, Orwell time - the scale part kicks in. In the 1970s it was simply a matter of asking the kids where they were going, who they were going with...and paying attention to the GD answer. That was called parenting. But our society has devolved to the point where there isn't time to pay proper attention to much of anything so why not offload the whole parenting responsibility crap on technology! YEAH! Let the computer keep track of the little monsters...I don't have time.

Seriously???

The real key problem here is that if the kid has a GPS target painted on their back, then they're just as easy for anyone to find...and not all anyones have said child's best interests in mind. But yet we have obviously been trained to accept the idea of Big Brother-esq monitoring systems as righteous and good ... Because it's... For. The. Children.

The fact of the matter is that if the kid wants to get lost. They're going to get lost. technology be damned.
--- End quote ---

Too many good points in there!

How many people remember the old commercials with the tag line "It's 10 O'clock...do you know where your children are?"
--- End quote ---

No comment. :P

(Did you really expect me to be ALL serious? 8) )

In the 1970s it was simply a matter of asking the kids where they were going, who they were going with...and paying attention to the GD answer. That was called parenting.
--- End quote ---

Err, umm...

In the 1970s it was simply a matter of asking the kids where they were going, who they were going with...and paying attention to the GD answer. That was called parenting.
--- End quote ---

I think that needed to be repeated.

--- End quote ---

And 2 repetitions probably wouldn't hurt.

So, a hearty +1!

A lot of people somehow seem to think that parenting is the responsibility of 3 parties:

1) The TV
2) The Internet
3) The schools/teachers/state

I don't think further comment on that is required.

But our society has devolved to the point where there isn't time to pay proper attention to much of anything so why not offload the whole parenting responsibility crap on technology! YEAH! Let the computer keep track of the little monsters...I don't have time.

Seriously???
--- End quote ---

Yep. Sadly, seriously.

But to be somewhat charitable and give the benefit of the doubt, I think you'll find my next bit probably overly generous.

How many families REQUIRE 2 incomes to keep the house running?

Kids are a LOT of work. Running a house is a lot of work.

Is an economy where it's a basic necessity for survivial that both parents work a good thing?

No further comment. We can continue that in the basement.

--- End quote ---

This goes back to parents having no time because they're busy trying to pay property tax, income tax, inflated utility bills, put food on the table, pay rent or pay for a mortgage, make car payments because there are no jobs near where they live, etc. etc. etc. etc.

What would you rather do?

Go to work, or stay home and play with the kids?

Stay up late reading over a few thousand pages of tax laws so that you are minimally informed, or help your kids with their homework?

etc. etc. etc.

The real key problem here is that if the kid has a GPS target painted on their back, then they're just as easy for anyone to find...and not all anyones have said child's best interests in mind.
--- End quote ---

Which is all the more reason to take technology into consideration when keeping track of your kids -- because you know the bad guys are using it as well. :(

But yet we have obviously been trained to accept the idea of Big Brother-esq monitoring systems as righteous and good ... Because it's... For. The. Children.
--- End quote ---

They're not righteous and they're not good. Monitoring is monitoring.

But I think we kind of need to break this down a bit more by age category. Children at 5, 7, 11, 13, and 17 are all very different. You cannot treat them all the same. (I love prime numbers!)

So what is appropriate for an 11-year old isn't appropriate for a 17-year old.

--- End quote ---

Yep. 100% there. Kids are great at figuring ways around things. I know this very well because I was one of them, and I'm betting SJ was too! ;) 8)

wraith808:

Seriously???

--- End quote ---

We take the time to build the rapport.   My children are homeschooled for just that reason.  And yes, for all of the talking, tracking, etc., there are still dangers that we won't be able to protect them from.  But as long as they're under 18, I will give them every chance that I can to get to that age.  And every bit of experience, knowledge, and education that I can in order that once they are there, they can have developed enough minds to be able to weigh the choices before them and make their own decision.  Not my decision, and definitely not someone else's decision.  But their own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version