ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Silk Road Seized - Dread Pirate Roberts Arrested

<< < (2/14) > >>

wraith808:
If the part of the indictment that he was actually involved in it and not just a 'platform provider' is true then of course it has be shut down. The whole issue of NSA snooping being bad is because normal, legal and fair things are being infringed upon, if we are going to get mad that a site used for various long illegal activities is shut down we are going way too far.

(Before accusing me of things remember I am using IF here)
-rgdot (October 03, 2013, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Legal vs. Illegal is actually a much more slippery slope than it is purported to be when they want to get you.  A phone can be used for illegal purposes.  In addition the phone company is making a profit on the arrangement of the illegal services.

rgdot:
If the part of the indictment that he was actually involved in it and not just a 'platform provider' is true then of course it has be shut down. The whole issue of NSA snooping being bad is because normal, legal and fair things are being infringed upon, if we are going to get mad that a site used for various long illegal activities is shut down we are going way too far.

--- End quote ---

Legal vs. Illegal is actually a much more slippery slope than it is purported to be when they want to get you.  A phone can be used for illegal purposes.  In addition the phone company is making a profit on the arrangement of the illegal services.
-wraith808 (October 03, 2013, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Action and participation are  clearly different and distinguishable from any other involvement (passive, 'providing means', etc), both in law and in practical terms.
Legal vs illegal is only a slippery slope when those applying the rules are allowed to apply it the way they choose.

Renegade:
...if we are going to get mad that a site used for various long illegal activities is shut down we are going way too far.

--- End quote ---

Here's another perspective:

http://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2013/10/3/the-shutdown-that-really-matters-the-end-of-the-silk-road.html#

Teaser: Prohibition is the Morally Reprehensible Part, Not Buying and Selling Drugs

SpoilerWhile state worshippers fret over the meaningless "shutdown" of the federal government, the supposedly inactive government violently shut down a very important and highly publicized free marketplace. National parks were closed for show, but the domestic terrorism continued from the offices of the FBI which seized the Silk Road website and arrested its alleged operator, the "Dread Pirate Roberts", Ross William Ulbricht yesterday morning.

Prohibition is the Morally Reprehensible Part, Not Buying and Selling Drugs

Let's get this out of the way first. To most of the violence-addicted authoritarians still infesting the planet, particularly the US, in overwhelming numbers, the FBI's takedown of the Silk Road is a triumph of good over evil. The mainstream media and the comments section under the pertinent articles bear this out. Most people think that it's a good thing that government tells people what they can buy to put into their own bodies. Despite the empirical evidence that prohibition of certain substances for private consumption increases usage and outright abuse while setting up violent underground markets, they still cheer on the war against people and their personal choices. They consider the resulting damage to and loss of life due to kidnapping by the government and murderous regulation among black market competitors to be worth making their personal code of conduct a matter of official gun-backed policy.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps the question is about which direction it is in that we are going too far.

wraith808:
Action and participation are  clearly different and distinguishable from any other involvement (passive, 'providing means', etc), both in law and in practical terms.
Legal vs illegal is only a slippery slope when those applying the rules are allowed to apply it the way they choose.
-rgdot (October 03, 2013, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

:-\  Really?  Who are we talking about again?  We aren't talking theory, we're talking the reality.

rgdot:
Example:
If I sell drugs on a site vs if I have a site that people use to sell drugs is the same to you guys now? there is a slippery slope if doing the former leads to an arrest?

(It has nothing to do with legalization by the way, I am not against that  but have yet to hear how legalization is going to be applied. Every corner store or limited sellers and where exactly those sellers are bringing their supply from...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version