ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Where are comments stored?

<< < (3/3)

kfitting:
You can try EXIFTool GUI, a GUI for Phil Harvey's excellent EXIFTools.  In any case, a NANY entry could use ExifTools to handle all the file interactions.  I think development of this particular GUI has stopped, but there are others out there.  I cant think of any tags not handled by EXIFTools. (double negative intended...)

bob99:
FWIW, XnView has search (Tools-->Search) that includes searching EXIF but when I tried the SC comments they are not EXIF, at least not to XnView
-rgdot (September 29, 2013, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

EXIF is an area where I've consistently found software sorely lacking. There are GREAT libraries to help out with it all, but... their implementations in different programs are often lacking.
-Renegade (September 29, 2013, 02:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Still couldn't locate my old post to reference but I know it's around somewhere. Anyway, I also tried a number of different programs to search for comments data. And I also wanted to try and generate a catalog or list of sorts with the filename, date and the comments o saved with the screenshot. It seemed like it should be pretty easy but wasn't.

From what I remember, the comments are stored in the Exif data. But, the field name (tag in Exif lingo) is different for file types. Jpg,png,etc. While reading up on Exif data formats I learned it seemed to be more beneficial to photographers for camera settings etc than for comments, descriptions fields/tags. No consistency.

For me at the time, it ended up it took less time manually going through and creating my own lists than trying the different progs and figuring out a way to do it.

I think it would be a great NANY app contribution.
I'll be watching this thread to see if anything new comes out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version