ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Jazz Recommendation Thread

<< < (3/7) > >>

tsaint:
How about Miles Davis/Gil Evans collaborations.
Or Bill Evans - he was one of the best.

xtabber:
As far as mainstream jazzers go, I'd strongly recommend listening to just about anything by Thelonious Monk. Brilliant improvisational madness.
Monk was one of the early practitioners of a style that eventually evolved into a style generally known as: Bebop. Other notables in the bebop style were Dizzy Gillespie :-* and Charlie Parker :-*, both of whom are well worth listening to.
-40hz (September 26, 2013, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strongly agree!

I recorded a lot of live Jazz in the 1960's (including some at the Village Vanguard) and although I haven't done sound recording work since then, am still a big Jazz fan.  I probably have about a thousand Jazz CDs, including about 40 Mosaic sets.

Given the kind of albums mentioned, here are 10 of the greatest (IMHO) Jazz albums that might appeal.

Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
Cannonball Adderley – Somethin’ Else
Jim Hall – Concierto
Thelonious Monk Quartet – Monk’s Dream
Modern Jazz Quartet – The Complete Last Concert
Gil Evans Orchestra – Out of the Cool
Shelly Manne and his Men – At the Blackhawk, Vol. 1
Lee Morgan – The Sidewinder
Oliver Nelson – The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Duke Ellington – Money Jungle

For a taste of the excitement that the Bebop movement brought to Jazz, listen to "Jazz at Massey Hall - The Quintet," a bootleg recording (by Mingus) of a live concert in Toronto featuring Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Max Roach and Charles Mingus, that many call the greatest Jazz concert ever.

Be warned that Jazz is addictive! If you like these, you won't be able to stop there.

tsaint:
+1 for Concierto and Out of the Cool .... or is that +2 then?

tsaint:
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson

Edvard:
My taste in jazz has two feet: One foot in the canonical (Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, Dave Brubeck, Wes Montgomery, Vince Guaraldi), the other in the "suspected to be clinically insane" avant-garde (Sun Ra, John Zorn, Peter Brotzmann, Skerik, Bill Laswell).
The listed musicians are by no means a complete list, just what I could throw off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version