ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Jazz Recommendation Thread

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
I'm not a huge jazz person but over the years I've run into some stuff that I really love.. I'm hoping to get more recommendations from those who are real jazz aficionados.

Anyone is welcome to post about their own tastes, but I'd also love to have some recommendations for music in the same vein as my favorites below:

John Coltrane - Blue Train album (my favorite of all)
Chet Baker - I fall in love too easily (incredible)
Count Basie - Kansas City Six album (love it)
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny album (love it)

ps.
I've linked to the youtube pages just because that's the easiest way to listen -- i don't care about the videos.

Giampy:
I am not expert at jazz, but I wish to mention "Jazz at the pawnshop". It's very famous among audiophiles. They say that album is very well recorded. However I don't remember how they judge it with regard to artistic side.

Tracks from "Jazz at the pawnshop" are present in Youtube, of course.

Tuxman:
Herbie Hancock, "Chameleon".  8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQegqw9IrI

edit: And if you like Coltrane, you might want to dig into Zeuhl, like Magma's "Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61cIieQOdac

40hz:
When it comes to the mainstream, there are just so many great performances and artists that I wonder where to begin.

However...if you're into real avant, I think Carla Bley's huge 1972 opus Escalator Over the Hill is well worth a listen. IMHO it's one of the few experimental jazz+ compositions from that era that has held up even after 40 long years. (Check out Wikipedia for details. Also, last I looked most of it (it runs about 2 hours total) could still be heard on YouTube.)

We need to get SuperboyAC in on this discussion. He's a jazzer.  :)

Vurbal:
It's hard for me to judge what other people hear in music since my perception is (literally) quite different, but based on those tracks I'd definitely recommend Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. And my personal favorite from Coltrane is A Love Supreme, although that may be more avant garde than you're looking for. You might also want to check out some Thelonious Monk.

Perhaps further away from your tastes, or maybe not, would be the Dave Brubeck Quartet. My dad was a huge jazz lover and I'll never forget the day he introduced me to their album Time Out. Blue Rondo a la Turk is still one of my favorite songs of all time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version