ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Interfaith Explorer (FREE) - Mini-Review

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
^^ Yes, orthodox Christians generally seem to have become pretty well-behaved and peaceful this century, but nevertheless they have suffered and continue to suffer persecution in different parts of the world.
The Baha'i faith is an interesting sect, relatively very young, not barmy, and seems to have been "made up" starting from 1844:
23 May 1844 – Siyyid Ali-Muhammad, a 25-year-old merchant in the city of Shiraz, Persia, announces that He has been sent by God to prepare humanity for a new age and the imminent appearance of another Messenger even greater than Himself. Source:  - http://www.bahai.us/welcome/founders-and-history/history/

--- End quote ---
I guess because Mohammed had earlier proclaimed himself to be the absolute last true prophet of Allah, and that any subsequent prophets would thus be false, was probably a major reason why the Baha'ists were/are persecuted (for their "heresy/blasphemy").
By comparison with olden times, making up a new religion nowadays seems to be a relatively very easy and safe thing to do, and can apparently be highly profitable, especially if they are granted tax-free charitable status - and it seems the barmier the better (e.g., Scientology, the Moonies).
Still, I'd give the Baha'ists top marks for their apparently wholesome principles/ethics and lack of fascist religio-political ideology/dogma.
I do think there is a lot of truth in the old saw that:
By their fruits ye shall know them.
--- End quote ---
- just look at the Interfaith Explorer, for example. That's evidence of benevolence and good curatorship and good curatorial practice, right there.

TaoPhoenix:

My remarks will have to wait a few days until my project machine comes back online.

I will test out the Buddhism section because that's a bigger faith than most people realize.

IainB:
My remarks will have to wait a few days until my project machine comes back online.
I will test out the Buddhism section because that's a bigger faith than most people realize.
-TaoPhoenix (September 26, 2013, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's what my Thai (Buddhist) wife just reminded me.    :)

Renegade:
-TaoPhoenix (September 26, 2013, 09:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's what my Thai (Buddhist) wife just reminded me.    :)
-IainB (September 27, 2013, 12:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Guess I'm not the only one with a (mini) altar at home. ;)

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, my project machine is up and I have full strength internet, so les'see this thing again...

Ongoing notes:

1. Save your experience to only trying this program out with a good internet connection. Some of the downloads are rather large and/or it needs processing power. For example it's maxxing out my CPU doing the index updating on my at least medium grade project machine, which clarifies why my old laptop didn't stand a chance.

2. Between the cpu and a memory spike over 400 megs, I did crash once so far. (My XP box, 2 Gigs ram.) I tried setting the process "below normal" to see if that helps.

3. Slightly Very unintuitive status info! For example you can think you have completed your update only to find not so much is there. So then when I clicked around and went to "scan for new" it seems to have found more documents. As of this note I am trying to find the Buddhist update, and it's not quite easy. I keep trying to click "Buddhist" and add documents and I keep getting more Bahai ones. So it might only have an example shell of the other faiths!

... Continually doing "scan for documents" seems completely unclear! It seems to be doing some mix of adding only a few docs at a time in sweeps, and repeating some. The names click by pretty fast. I'll try a few sweeps.

4. I found a bug! I "Hard-Closed" the program during a scan and it lost its database! I am re-scanning it back!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version