ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need a simple chat system for small website prefer to host internally no frills

<< < (3/3)

questorfla:
Many thanks again.  I am an old school hardware Tech.  I'm good at what I do but only passable at the rest.  COBOL was my last serious attempt at programming and as soon as I start seeing the end ahead on HTML4 they change to HTML5.  I am already about to go nuts trying to figure out why Firefox can no longer draw a straight line.  The same coding that aligned the site modules before still works on IE10 or even Chrome.  But Firefox looks like a drunk driver at the wheel
One thing that I may not be making clear is that this IS a site where they would probably want the chat on every page.  that is the whole purpose of it is to discuss the merits of specific documents and it is a committee of people who will be there and Only them.  The ability to discuss the merits or lack thereof on any plan is going to either get done right then or done from notes taken and whatever they remember about it later.  I just need to read a bit and try your suggestions  I think this is going to work this time

questorfla:
Oh well.  I know what I think is wrong I just do not know how to fix it.
<a href="path-to-chat-script-folder/index.php" target="_blank">Click here to chat </a> I put in the exact spot where you click to go to chat,
click it and the transfer works flawlessly,  Always does.  But the Go back to the regular page tro keep reading part just does npt have a corresponding outlet from the chat.  The only way ut that I can find (unless I add one) is to close the page. (ie; close the browser,)
shame  I cannot simply minimize it that would solve everything,  the program itself simply opens a file called chat.html.  it seems that here should be  a way to open to minimized or any thing but full screen.
Anyway, my typos are no exceeding y correct text :(  got to catch a few winks.  maybe I can see clearer in the am.

app103:
If you are opening the chat in a new tab/window with target="_blank", you don't need an extra button to "go back". The visitor would just close the chat tab/window when they are finished, and the original page they were on should still be there, open.

As far as minimizing the original page, that would most likely be something in the visitor's control, through their browser settings (maybe with plugins). I know my Firefox gives me the option to open new tabs from links in either the foreground or background (I usually prefer the background, though). Different browsers handle this kind of stuff differently, but it's usually up to the user how they want to configure it in their settings, and even if you have a choice on how to do it on your site, these user settings would over-ride that.

For example, this bit of javascript code added to your link could set the size, position, and other parameters of a new window, but in my browser, it would never be a new window (only a new tab) and never be the size you set (just a full page), and never open in the foreground (always in the background) because my browser is configured to always do that instead of what the web designer may have intended.

Does this make any sense to you?

One thing that I may not be making clear is that this IS a site where they would probably want the chat on every page.  that is the whole purpose of it is to discuss the merits of specific documents and it is a committee of people who will be there and Only them.
-questorfla (September 26, 2013, 12:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess the misunderstanding is my fault, because I didn't explain why, from a webmaster's point of view, you wouldn't want it on every page.

Unlike the designer's point of view where this might be a good thing for users, from a webmaster's point of view it's bad because it hammers the server whenever a page gets loaded. Get a bunch of people on the site at the same time, who have no intention of chatting, and if the chat loads on every page you are hammering the server for no reason. There comes a point where you cross a threshold where the number of users on the site is capable of bringing the whole site down, if they are all loading a live chat room for no reason, at the same time (this is why most web hosts don't allow live chat rooms and suspend the accounts of any webmaster that breaks this rule, as it can affect other sites hosted on the same server.). Putting the chat on its own page, to be used only if the user wants to chat, lessens the risk of bringing down the whole site.

But if you still want it on every page, I probably will have time this weekend to help you do it, one-on-one (privately), hands-on, even just doing it for you, if it wouldn't compromise any sort of confidentiality agreement you have with the site owners. Send me a PM by Friday night if you are interested in that kind of help.

questorfla:
sure but you will have to excuse my ignorance  I know what a PM is but I don't know how to send you one :(.  Basically, the number of users at any given time on this server COULD be up to 200  But never much more than that as it is a private server, private site used for specific people who have to log in with a name and password.  the single server hosts anywhere from 70 to 100 sites at the same time.  but the type of use makes the drain on the system extremely low.  the chat portion might only be requested on 10 sites out of the 80 or even less.  It was just a frill that was requested once, and I put it on the list of thing to try when I got the time.  Without Microchat, I would not even be looking now but I am intrigued by the methods used to create the document that it hosts. 
Anyway, if you can let me know how to PM you I would be glad to try.

app103:
Anyway, if you can let me know how to PM you I would be glad to try.
-questorfla (September 26, 2013, 09:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=19278

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version