ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

jv16 Powertools 2014- Endorse Study Results Before They're Published?!

<< < (4/4)

barney:
All I know is that I have no intention of making any connection between my [rarely used] social media accounts and Macecraft's attempt to go open source.
-cyberdiva (December 23, 2013, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

And then there are those of us who have no such social accounts.  Wonder if I'd have to join Facebook - yech! - just to use the product - a product that never appealed to me anyway?  Thanks, but no thanks.  The tools ain't that powerful  :P.

Curt:
He may be wanting to change the concept, but so far nothing has changed:

https://www.macecraft.com/checkout/ :
You can download a fully working free trial version to try it yourself. Unlike with some other products, you can fully use the free trial version of our product, it is not feature limited in any ways. And what’s best, we offer a free trial period of 60 days! That’s Right! Forget those 30 day trials. That’s nowhere near long enough to fully appreciate everything the new jv16 PowerTools 2014 has to offer.

More power, less hassle:
One pizza and a bottle of Coke can cost you $29.95 and you only get to enjoy them once. Invest $29.95 in jv16 PowerTools 2014 and you can use it for a lifetime!

Platinum VIP Package ($39.95) Includes:
Same benefits as regular VIP. Includes free product upgrades for life! Buy the Platinum VIP once, and you can use jv16 PowerTools for life with up to five personal computers!

Notice the word "could":

-Macecraft
--- End quote ---

jpfx:
I got around all this by briefly perusing the e-mail (i also received it) and then deleting it.

J-Mac:
OK - the fog is starting to clear, but just a little.

I received a message from Macecraft today announcing their Indiegogo crowdfunding page. Target is $100,000 to go "Open Source"! Wow! Link follows:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jv16-powertools-as-open-source

Interesting point is that the fine print states that they get to keep all funds whether or not the target is reached.

Flexible Funding
This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it
does not reach its goal. Funding duration: January
22, 2014 - March 23, 2014 (11:59pm PT).

--- End quote ---

That's a lot different than the Kickstarter campaigns I have funded. Those all stated that my money would not leave my PayPal account and go to the sponsor unless the Target was reached. If the target was not reached in the time allotted, no funds would go to them at all. Apparently Macecraft is playing with more favorable (to them) rules. They get to keep all funding regardless of the target being reached. Sweet deal indeed - for Macecraft!

Why have I not seen other programs that go Open Source doing this? Or is it fairly common and I just missed it?

Jim

jpfx:
if you ask me (which you didn't) they're asking for funding for an application that's already been written, was relevant back in XP days and has little to no current value.
looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version