ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

jv16 Powertools 2014- Endorse Study Results Before They're Published?!

<< < (2/4) > >>

J-Mac:
Well, after receiving a number of other posts complaining about the above circumstances (requiring "endorsement" of their study prior to releasing it), Macecraft Software finally did go ahead and release the study freely. It can be found here: http://www.macecraft.com/registry-cleaner-benchmark-study/

The study basically shows that Windows 7 startup times decreased by 20% after cleaning the registry with jv16 Power Tools 2014. They claim that startup time decreased from 100 seconds to 47 seconds, which sounds unbelievable. Too good to be true?

Charts and graphs and screenshots available at the above link.

Thanks!

Jim

cyberdiva:
Thanks, Jim, for calling this to everyone's attention.  I first followed your link to the study and then went to the JVPowerTools forum.  One poster had pointed out that "You specify are that the most aggressive registry cleaning option was chosen. Macecraft consistently warns users against using that option. It would be a more convincing study if the results were compared to the way real users would use the program."  The developer replied: "With the PowerTools 2014 version, we have changed the way the more aggressive scan options work and changed the warnings from "do not use this" to more like "you can use this option if you know what you are doing"."

I still think the point raised by the poster is a good one.  My impression is that a lot of people who use registry cleaners (including me) do NOT feel totally comfortable messing around with the Registry.  Even with the change to the 2014 version, I suspect many (most?) people will still opt for a setting less strong than "aggressive," and that a study using a less aggressive study would be more useful, or at least also useful.

40hz:
@J-Mac: you and others must have touched a nerve. The link to your comments (http://www.macecraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5400&p=32983#p32983) along with the rest of that thread have apparently since been removed from the Macecraft forum.

That's a kinda jive thing to do even if they did publicly release their study after the fact.  :-\

MilesAhead:
Well, after receiving a number of other posts complaining about the above circumstances (requiring "endorsement" of their study prior to releasing it), Macecraft Software finally did go ahead and release the study freely. It can be found here: http://www.macecraft.com/registry-cleaner-benchmark-study/

The study basically shows that Windows 7 startup times decreased by 20% after cleaning the registry with jv16 Power Tools 2014. They claim that startup time decreased from 100 seconds to 47 seconds, which sounds unbelievable. Too good to be true?
-J-Mac (September 25, 2013, 05:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

The only way I can conceive getting that number is if the system times out waiting to load drivers that are no longer there. I had a similar experience when I removed norton AV from my system.  On a Vista 64 bit machine my boot up time was about 120 seconds.  I looked at the boot log and there were several time outs waiting for Norton drivers to load. I had tor run the Norton Removal tool 3 or 4 times.  I may have used CCleaner registry cleanup also... I don't remember.

edit: in any case I think I got my cold boot time down to about 72 seconds from 120.  The machine had a "fake raid" controller so it was going to boot on the slow side no matter what.

Tuxman:
Sigh. Back in the early 2000s, when the Powertools were sane...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version