ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone from German, I have a question for you.

<< < (2/2)

tslim:
The article is on a Hong Kong newspaper, talk about how harmful pre-school education can be. It starts by stating Germany law prohibit pre-school education and how successful Germany is, in producing talents etc. Sort of by forcing kids to memorize a lot of things in pre-school education we will destroy their creativity and analytic mind.

tomos:
The article is on a Hong Kong newspaper, talk about how harmful pre-school education can be. It starts by stating Germany law prohibit pre-school education and how successful Germany is, in producing talents etc. Sort of by forcing kids to memorize a lot of things in pre-school education we will destroy their creativity and analytic mind.
-tslim (September 18, 2013, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've heard that idea here as well. It makes sense to me on a 'common sense' level.
Has it had anything to do with Germany's success?
Who knows... in a 2009 report, the schools here rated poorly in comparision with other European schools (PISA report).
In many areas, there are shortages of highly-qualified people here - this has a lot to do with the low birthrate though.

Lutz_:
This must have been a very misinformed article.  Schools are regulated by the states in Germany, but none of the states is crazy enough to outlaw education.  Education is free in Germany; including universities.
Elementary school and with it compulsory education starts at age 6;  Kindergarten (not compulsory) at age 3, I guess.  Usually kids start leaning how to read and write in elementary school, beginning with the first grade - this is unlike the US (where they believe kids have to start reading in kindergarten) and unlike Finland (said to have the best schools - where kids supposedly start reading at age 7; http://www.newamerica.net/blog/early-ed-watch/2008/how-finland-educates-youngest-children-9029).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version