ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

nauseating problem seeking creative solution?

<< < (2/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

For what it's worth "non-toll-free" shouldn't mean anything - don't you have a calling plan you can fall back on? For example for a while I used to have a Magic Jack line that let me call most US places for free after the setup.

Meanwhile, it looks like it's involving Albany Medical Center in Upstate NY. Does that provide any clues? It's odd that somewhere that specific would be the info spoofed on top of the spam. Why them?

cmpm:
Do not respond in any way at all! Especially DO NOT CALL that phone number!

Why do you think that phone number is there?
To get your phone number!

Stoic Joker:
Meanwhile, it looks like it's involving Albany Medical Center in Upstate NY. Does that provide any clues? It's odd that somewhere that specific would be the info spoofed on top of the spam. Why them?-TaoPhoenix (September 17, 2013, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

The key to the scam is to make the Email look as valid as possible, so spoofing (or trying to spoof) an existing company/institution is generally the best angle to take. However... the domain amc.edu has no currently registered MX records. Also the domain's DNS servers have an IP address that is on a block owned by Freedom Wireless ... Which doesn't really sound like a hosting company to me.

-------------------------------------------//------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note to Bit: Do not call that number, or any number you find in a questionable Email. One of the oldest scams on the internet is to trick people into calling "Premium Service" numbers where the get charged $20/$50/$100 per minute for some service that is allegedly being provided.

If an Email looks like it might be legit...but doesn't feel right...get out the phone book and call the number listed there for the company/entity/organization/bank...

app103:
Do you mean, to contact my ISP email-host provider and tell them?
Believe it or not, I never thought of that and didn't know they could do that for me.
But I'll be more than willing to contact my ISP tomorrow and give it a try.
And thanks for all the extra advice, seriously.

(edit) I just reported that one and another one that spams me less often via my ISP online Help Desk.
-bit (September 16, 2013, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I mean mark it as spam and move on with your life.
After that, any additional emails they send you should automatically end up in your spam folder, where it belongs, instead of your inbox.

(Marking it as spam also reports it to your ISP, if you are using webmail.)

cmpm:
Looking up that number gave some results about the 5000# and from the same location a 4000# had a lot of complaints like bit has.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version