ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

software recommendations - photo/graphics editors

<< < (4/7) > >>

AbteriX:
Some ideas, maybe from use for someone...

I doesn't have much use for a graphic editor this days.
Only a little bit cropping, color and brightness adjustment, drawing a arrow, little rotation and like that.

So I searched for free and portable lightweight apps and found this recently:
Hornil StylePix - Free Photo Editor
PixBuilder Studio - Free photo editing software - WnSoft

In the past I used Photofiltre too to create the graphic pack for SC.
Also from time to time I use pay ware PhotoLine (there was a giveaway on german c't magazin years ago. Still have too less use for it to buy a newer version)
And then I have bought some cheap older PhotoImpact from the electric bay. But often I just use a "patched" trial of version 8 (2002?) because it's small and all I need.

As viewer I use Irfan View every day since years. (reminder to me: check last donation time)

rjbull:
Or one of Serif's offerings?

* PhotoPlus X6 (current top-of-the-range)
* PhotoPlus essentials (half the price)
* PhotoPlus Starter Edition (free)

xtabber:
I can recommend Paint.NET

I also used Paint Shop Pro for many years but gave up on it after Corel bought it and made a DRM nightmare out of it.   I don't do much photo editing, but I do need to do some basic things every so often.  Paint.NET had the right mix of serious capabilities and ease of use for my purposes, and it is free.

Curt:
This is my wifes machine and she's a very light (basic!!) user, mostly minor retouching of photos or scans, ...-Target (September 16, 2013, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

The two easiest to use of the able ones are PhotoScape and PhotoFiltre Studio X Pro. There is no marker / selection tool in PhotoScape => it will only alter the entire picture - which is why I also use PhotoFiltre, so I can edit the details. Except for "amplify colours" (which is amplifying too strongly), I am very satisfied with these two editors.

-------------
During installation of PhotoScape you should not click the first "I agree", but "Options", otherwise you will usually get some 3'rd party program.

PhotoScape is Korean, PhotoFiltre is French.

oblivion:
Coming late to this thread -- blame mouser for highlighting it in the newsletter :)

I've used a few graphics / photo editors over the years.

For all the proponents of The Gimp, it's always looked to me like the learning curve is way too steep. I have a copy but I've never used it for anything serious.

Sagelight -- the paid version -- is brilliant for photo work. The noise reduction and one-shot HDR functionality components are very new and have become indispensable to me already.

I like Xara Photo & Graphic Designer for object removal but it's a vector tool with photo capabilities added in later and again the learning curve is fairly hefty. And it's quite expensive. But it has a big and committed userbase and the fact that it combines vector and photo capabilities in one package may be a plus.

Serif PhotoPlus: I've had various versions of this for ages and still use it -- particularly if I want to add text or do object extraction, layer-based manipulation or, well, anything that's about changing the content of a picture rather than just tweaking it for whole-image improvements. It's a good companion to Sagelight but they definitely complement each other.

The various free tools mentioned in this thread: there are good points to all of them but -- with the possible exception of The Gimp -- I'm not sure any of them really delivers on all the functionality you're likely to want. Sorry -- I think you may have to spend money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version