ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

typing in web browser makes it freeze

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Shot in the dark, but one thing that the two browsers do/might share regarding text box input is spellcheck. Try disabling it and see if that makes a difference. Especially if Chrome has its own and the two are fighting for control...of the (textbox) control.

app103:
You didn't mention how much RAM your machine has, or how many other apps you are running at the same time, especially background apps you might not even think about.

The reason why I am wondering this is because this is an issue I have experienced in ALL browsers on older or low end machines that don't have a lot of RAM, or when running too many apps or apps that eat a lot of memory at the same time, on newer machines.

Not only do browsers tend to freeze when there isn't enough RAM available, but if you are patient and wait till they unfreeze, the text you type into text boxes on web pages seems to lag quite badly, requiring you to sometimes wait a long time for it to catch up. It was especially bad on my old snail pc that has only 64MB RAM, where I could watch the chars I typed in the boxes appear one at a time, at a speed similar to an inexperienced hunt-and-peck typist. I had much better results typing what I wanted in Notepad and pasting it in when I was done. It was much faster than typing on the web page and then going to have a snack while I waited for it to catch up.

I have also noticed that the same thing has started happening more frequently over the last year, on my P4 with 1G RAM, especially in Chrome (and I only have 1 add-on installed in that, which is turned off by default, and only activated when I need it). In other browsers, it tends to happen most on pages that are quite heavy with javascript, or ones that have "endless scrolling" of content, like Facebook and G+. My solution was to open the posts I wanted to comment on in a new tab, rather than trying to type in the box on the same page that has tons of posts...and just never using Chrome, if I can avoid it.

nite_monkey:
I guess it could be possible that I have to much junk running on my computerin the background. I tend to do that, wich is why I had to reinstall windows every couple of months on my old computer. My current computer has 8 gigs of ram

app103:
My current computer has 8 gigs of ram
-nite_monkey (September 12, 2013, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

You'd have to be running an insane amount of memory hogs for that to be your problem. I'm notorious for running a lot of stuff, but I have never run into this issue on my PC that has 2G RAM...only on machines with 1G or less.

nite_monkey:
Im only using about 38% of my ram. Im guessing it is probably something else. Im done messing with it. Im backing up my stuff and reinstalling windows now

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version