ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Resident search inside eml files and thoses from Thunderbird

<< < (2/7) > >>

Shades:
To search through mail (and attachments) my accounts have collected throughout the years, I use MailStore Home. That particular version is free (and available in portable format on www.portableapps.com).

It finds more concise results to any search query when compared with the search capabilities of Thunderbird, my email client of choice. It also serves as a backup of your mail and it allows you to convert mail to different formats so the messages in MailStore home can be exported to the mail client of your choice.

No affiliation, just a (very) content user.

PhilB66:
(and available in portable format on www.portableapps.com).
-Shades (September 10, 2013, 11:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Link please.

Contro:
To search through mail (and attachments) my accounts have collected throughout the years, I use MailStore Home. That particular version is free (and available in portable format on www.portableapps.com).

It finds more concise results to any search query when compared with the search capabilities of Thunderbird, my email client of choice. It also serves as a backup of your mail and it allows you to convert mail to different formats so the messages in MailStore home can be exported to the mail client of your choice.

No affiliation, just a (very) content user.
--- End quote ---

I use too. One year or more using. Totally according with you.

Contro:
(and available in portable format on www.portableapps.com).
--- End quote ---
Link please.
-PhilB66 (September 10, 2013, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mail Store Home

I install in portable way.

Is not background indexing I think. Takes a time to index the files and recently i was using specially to search in my sent emails because I have a lot off accounts.

But I have integrated a sent folders with my accounts.
I must revise when I create another one....

:-[

I use the concept of virtual folder or saved search

Contro:
But don't forget the msf files from TB
I usually collect some emails to my folders in eml format, but the gross is in msf format. -Contro (September 10, 2013, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Each Thunderbird mail folder is stored in two files named after this mail folder name:

*     File with no extension stores email messages in the plain text format, one after one. This file is larger than the MSF index.
*     A corresponding (smaller) .MSF file contains mail folder indexes and preference data. Thunderbird figures out what part of the message to be displayed, the order of messages within a folder, and the like - all based on the .MSF file information. It is important to note that .MSF files do not contain any email messages and, all in all, are redundant. Thunderbird will rebuild .MSF files as needed if they are missing.
--- End quote ---

MSF files are just indexes, all your emails are stored in plain text in the files with no extension, eg. Drafts, Sent Mail
 (see attachment in previous post)
-4wd (September 10, 2013, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot 4wd

I was wondering why appear in the web utilities like docFetcher able to search inside pst files, but not so many utilities to search in the specific folders of Thunderbird. I suppose msf because I see somewhere. Perhaps in OSForensics Passmark ?

Nooooo.
What email formats are compatible with OSF

The very good news are that are simple text.
Because in that case sure DocFetcher can make his labour.

OSForensics don't seems index in background and hangs after more than one day indexing. That was my particular experience.

:-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version