ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Resident search inside eml files and thoses from Thunderbird

(1/7) > >>

Contro:
Resident search inside eml files and thoses from Thunderbird

I am very happy with search options like everything, Qiqqa, DocFetcher, but this last only index pst files from Outlook

I would like a resident and seperate tool for background indexing of my email files.

Best Regards
 :P

tomos:
I thought eml files were just like text files (yes - I just opened one in notepad), i.e. I wouldn't have thought that any search and/or indexing programme would have a problem reading them.

Contro:
 :-\

But don't forget the msf files from TB
I usually collect some emails to my folders in eml format, but the gross is in msf format.

DocFetcher can manipulate txt files. Or files similar.
What do you think about OSForensic from Passmark

Contro:
I think I have seen that windows search under seven may index the emails.
I don't know.
Is possible configure windows search to look only inside emails ?
I don't want to renounce to my wonderful Everything
 :-[

4wd:
But don't forget the msf files from TB
I usually collect some emails to my folders in eml format, but the gross is in msf format. -Contro (September 10, 2013, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Each Thunderbird mail folder is stored in two files named after this mail folder name:

*    File with no extension stores email messages in the plain text format, one after one. This file is larger than the MSF index.
*    A corresponding (smaller) .MSF file contains mail folder indexes and preference data. Thunderbird figures out what part of the message to be displayed, the order of messages within a folder, and the like - all based on the .MSF file information. It is important to note that .MSF files do not contain any email messages and, all in all, are redundant. Thunderbird will rebuild .MSF files as needed if they are missing.
--- End quote ---

MSF files are just indexes, all your emails are stored in plain text in the files with no extension, eg. Drafts, Sent Mail

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version