ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hardware Question: Baseboard Management Controller communication failure

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
^I could be wrong, but AFAIK the VRAM reset happens on the next boot, not just from switching the jumper.

Luck! :)

Edvard:
Power down.
Set NVRAM jumper.
Boot up.  Get NVRAM jumper warning.  Grub can't find disk (my bad, fixed on next reboot).
Power down.
Un-set NVRAM jumper.
Boot up.  Fans do not spin down like normal, same error, but I fixed the disk problem.  Runs, but noisy as hell.

:(

x16wda:
Does it have the latest BIOS & ESM installed?

Edvard:
Yes to the BIOS.  I checked the BIOS version and it is the same as the latest one on Dell's website.  The ESM I'm not so sure about. 
The thing is, the machine worked perfectly when we got it, approximately 3-4 months ago.  Then my son went to a local youth camp for their leadership training program for 3 months, during which time the machine sat idle, unplugged.  Some posts I saw suggested a faulty battery, so I checked the BIOS battery, but it was a full 3 volts. 
My wife is not too happy about yet another broken piece of junk possibly recoverable hardware hanging around the basement.  I'll check into the ESM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version