ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is 'the cloud' becoming the 'SkyNet'?

(1/3) > >>

mitzevo:
I was just thinking, pondering really, about the cloud and what it could become in the not so distant future 8 ~ 16 years from now.

We (well some of us) store a lot of our data in/on(?) the cloud -- a giant web/network of computers, servers, and other hardware devices.

If we continue to store all of our information; sort (tag, categorize, prioritize, etc) it, and store it on "the cloud" / internet, other than our own brains/memory, this makes our data easily "navigate-able" or understandable by humans and also computers/AI who somehow gets access to this data.)

More and more people are getting online each year, and more and more people are buying and using smartphones -- not only are we storing all types of data in the cloud, we are also quite easily located via our constant connections to the network, the grid, the overture, the omnivore, the echolon, yadda yadda ya.

We should be careful how well we organize our data. It's basically providing a roadmap to who ever is access that data into how you think and operate.

What do you think? I'm interested in hearing other peoples thoughts and opinions on this matter.

Could the cloud (i.e., cloud branded services) eventually evolve into interconnected clouds, which would them finally form the overall, mega ultimate cloudnet/skynet?

SkyDrive anyone?  ;D

mitzevo:
sorry, forgot something pretty intriguing: the grid, the matrix, ...

Renegade:
I wouldn't worry about an AI going all postal on the planet quite yet.

But I certainly wouldn't put much faith in the cloud the way things are now. It's nothing about the technology, but entirely about how it is being used/abused. It's not the tool - it's the people wielding the tool that is the cause for concern.

Right now the way companies and governments operate, it's borderline insane to trust them with any information that they don't absolutely 110% need in order to provide you with some service.

Big Data now is far bigger than most people realise. It's pretty far into the dangerous zone now.

When your health insurance provider suddenly hikes your premiums because they got information from the super market that you shop at because you use the super market's loyalty card, or through some other means, well, this is worrisome. (Please forgive any understatement on my part.)

40hz:
Nothing so dramatic.

More like the imposition of an arbitrary and unrestrained automated kennel keeper who drags its dogs around on a very short leash, and punishes with impunity any signs of disobedience or spirit.

If it succeeds, it will be the first step in the eradication of what most of us think it means to be human. The high price paid in exchange for the imagined peace and safety of the beehive or termite colony.

Welcome insects! Your self-appointed overlords have been expecting you.

Renegade:
Nothing so dramatic.

More like the imposition of an arbitrary and unrestrained automated kennel keeper who drags its dogs around on a very short leash, and punishes with impunity any signs of disobedience or spirit.

If it succeeds, it will be the first step in the eradication of what most of us think it means to be human. The high price paid in exchange for the imagined peace and safety of the beehive or termite colony.

Welcome insects! Your self-appointed overlords have been expecting you.-40hz (September 09, 2013, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha~! And here I thought *I* was the resident "conspiracy theorist" here at DC~! ;D  :Thmbsup:

(For the record, I think you're an optimist! :P )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version