ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MailPile: Secure FOSS Crowdfunded E-mail with Simple-to-use Encryption

<< < (3/3)

Vurbal:
I'm really not that interested in improving email at this point. It's essentially a walking dead technology already and for good reason. Email is, and always will be, the electronic equivalent of intra office memos. It's simply not an appropriate model for people's modern day needs.

I don't know what the solution will look like but I am convinced it will be peer to peer rather than server-client oriented. The bigger question is how to build a distributed but still user friendly security model. That probably starts with some combination of hardware and software/firmware which doesn't exist just yet but is likely just over the horizon.

Renegade:
I'm really not that interested in improving email at this point. It's essentially a walking dead technology already and for good reason. Email is, and always will be, the electronic equivalent of intra office memos. It's simply not an appropriate model for people's modern day needs.

I don't know what the solution will look like but I am convinced it will be peer to peer rather than server-client oriented. The bigger question is how to build a distributed but still user friendly security model. That probably starts with some combination of hardware and software/firmware which doesn't exist just yet but is likely just over the horizon.
-Vurbal (September 10, 2013, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you looked at Bitmessage? It has some interesting things going on, and is P2P.

One downside of P2P is that you have increased bandwidth and storage costs. For messaging with attachments, I think the Bitmessage model is a no-go. Unless message size bears a significant cost, size will be a major issue.

40hz:
It's all cool.

But until we get to the bottom of identifying possible and likely holes, errors, and other tampering by the NSA and their cohorts to weaken but not completely break the standards, protocols, and algorithms we currently rely on, we're still building on sand. Because right now it's looking like IPsec, SSL, and certain forms of encryption have all been tampered with in this manner.

At this point, I think the only valid indication of genuine signal security would be to see how quickly the technology behind it got outlawed by government.

Single use cypher pads and flash paper anyone? :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version