ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MailPile: Secure FOSS Crowdfunded E-mail with Simple-to-use Encryption

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
The thing about it is that I think that most people would agree that e-mail is broken.  There currently isn't a viable solution to the problem itself, so in the meantime, do you ignore that there is a problem until something else comes along?  Or do you work within the constraints of what exists in order to hopefully make it a little bit better until the time that the next innovation happens?
-wraith808 (September 08, 2013, 11:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I know... I bitch about email quite a bit.

We've pretty much got everything we need to cobble together a better standard though. We know the issues and know the solutions. We just haven't assembled together the right combination yet.

What's happening in crypto currencies right now is really cool stuff. They've solved a huge number of really interesting problems, and have a massive arsenal of techniques that could be used. Bitmessage is along those lines right now. I tried to get some people to use it with me, but... sigh... can't manage to get anyone there.

I'm using Jitsi to talk with a close friend now. We generally start on Skype then move to Jitsi. XMPP/SIP/Jitsi doesn't quite seem prime time yet, but it's getting there. It's not an email replacement though.

Target:
As for the actual service/product - looks interesting. It seems that there are more like this popping up. But "email"? Man... I'm so sick of email. It's just so broken. I really think we need to scrap it and just start over with something new. A simple communications platform for letters, short messages, attachments, audio, video, audio/video/rich media messages, etc. People keep dumping resources into a broken platform.
-Renegade (September 05, 2013, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

but do we really need it?  there must thousands of newer, more exciting and innovative social mediums to develop and exploit before we even need to consider such a thing :o

Renegade:
As for the actual service/product - looks interesting. It seems that there are more like this popping up. But "email"? Man... I'm so sick of email. It's just so broken. I really think we need to scrap it and just start over with something new. A simple communications platform for letters, short messages, attachments, audio, video, audio/video/rich media messages, etc. People keep dumping resources into a broken platform.
-Renegade (September 05, 2013, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

but do we really need it?  there must thousands of newer, more exciting and innovative social mediums to develop and exploit before we even need to consider such a thing :o
-Target (September 09, 2013, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. We do need it. But I'm not aware of anything that is "prime time" ready to use.

Target:
Yes. We do need it. But I'm not aware of anything that is "prime time" ready to use. -Renegade (September 09, 2013, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I must be slipping - it would seem you missed the sarcasm in my reply :o

Renegade:
Yes. We do need it. But I'm not aware of anything that is "prime time" ready to use. -Renegade (September 09, 2013, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I must be slipping - it would seem you missed the sarcasm in my reply :o
-Target (September 09, 2013, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Blah. Sorry. I think that's my lack of caffination at the moment. Need another jolt me thinks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version