ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Export to single .txt files (adding date-time)

(1/3) > >>

dcwul62:

Currently clips are exported to a single .txt file.

They can be imported into Excel, comma delimited.
Then again, in case of larger text clips only a small part is being transferred, viz ExcerptText only (the actual body is mostly skipped)

Would it be possible to export all text-clips in full (i.e. the complete text) to separate .txt-files, whilst adding date-time to the filenames.

These text files are then 'searchable' by desktop search tools, like X1:  the files will show up in the X1-interface.
(That said, yes..., one can do a quick search in CHS as well..)

Needcase, if users wish so, the single filenames can be joined into one large .txt file.

Or, if .. in the unbelievable scenario.. for any reason ...
someone stops using CHS and removes it, the data has gone.

Or.. the datafiles/backups  are corrupted

then it would still be nice to have the .txt files available.

For me: if the date-time is on the end of the file, I have a button in Directory Opus that will update the modified/created date/time attributes, taking the dates/times from the filenames.

I know, I have suggested this in the beta/release thread, but I feel I should submit this as a separate request.

TIA
=

mouser:
I'm not opposed to adding something like this.

However, I'd first like to make sure this is wrong:
Then again, in case of larger text clips only a small part is being transferred, viz ExcerptText only (the actual body is mostly skipped)
--- End quote ---

Because the first step should be to ensure that the current CSV style export is exporting ALL important data.  That way, it can always be parsed by a simple utility and searched and indexed, etc.

If what you say is true and it's not exporting all of the clip text, then that has to be my first priority to fix.

Can you check?

dcwul62:
hi mouser

what is currently exported to .txt  are these details (in Excel, I have 'transposed' the data from rows to columns.

(Index, UserKeywords, ClipType, ParentId, ParentGroup, OtherGroups, Application, FullApplicationPath, WindowTitle, Title, Description, ImageIndex, ExcerptText, ClipText, CreationDateTime, ModificationDateTime, ViewDateTime, MarkDateTime, DueDateTime, IsFavorite, UserFlag, UserCheckbox, UserRating, Protected, Ordering, ClipFormatNum, DataSize, FileList, ExtendedData, FileCount, HashText)
=
=
I am not sure about Clip Text, with me it remains empty.

=
=

btw, with some rows, I think CHS has a small 'hick-up'  as it puts dates in the index column.
no idea why.
note that clip ID 2464  was clip that I deleted myself (likely a merged clip).
in my collection, which is small as I just started with CHS (just close to a 1000 clips only), there are 4 of such clips.
so, not a big issue.

=

mouser:
Ok looks like i need to go and check this out.
ClipText should be the full text of the clip.

One possibility is that the CSV output is not formatting items with newlines or quotes well, resulting in excel import being incomplete.

Could you check that actual txt file and see if ClipText is really blank?

dcwul62:
I am afraid it is... at least, with me here.

=
=

You have something in that column ?

=

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version