topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestion: Updated Find and Replace  (Read 3386 times)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Suggestion: Updated Find and Replace
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:56 AM »
I am not sure if I brought this up already before.

Suggestion to add special characters in the "Find and Replace" panel.

Like this  - just an idea

=
Clipboard Help+Spell-Find and Replace-suggestion2-08102013 092454.pngSuggestion: Updated Find and Replace

=

I got to this because I wanted to replace tabs with spaces, but have forgotten about what (regex?) code I should use for tabs.

This idea provide users with a number of preset special characters (such cell-seperators  from Excel, but also:   >  <  #  |  =  and (Carriage return=hard return=line return)
as well as leading and trailing tabs and spaces and user defined characters.

Thanks
=
bump: hopefull this will be considered..
=
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:53 AM by dcwul62 »

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestion: Updated Find and Replace
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:57 AM »
@mouser - did you have the chance to look at this?
maybe it is too complicated, in which case, forget it   :)
Thanks!
=

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Making special characters visible is not a bad idea.. As for adding special characters to the search and replace, i think this may be a case where the best solution is to just ask people to look up how to do it using regular expressions.  (you can also use \t and \n in NON-REGULAR EXPRESSION).  Perhaps just having a button that will open a web page showing help on regular expressions would be a good compromise.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:52 AM »
My idea behind the layout was that users who are not acquainted with regular expressions and above all, who are not interested in getting acquainted with it, simply because they will never use it for any other purpose, or simply because it is not 'their cup of tea' so to say, those people will forget what strings to use or how to use it. In my layout, they simply need to tag items.
They cud tag [Tab] and [Carriage Return] and maybe some other symbols altogether and then run it and all this stuff would then be stripped. Oh, there should be a reset button, or ctrl-Z to 'undo' the action.

If you wish to use a webpage with regex examples, I would rrreally suggest to have an very simple example page in the F1-Help, meaning to say, if the user is on that specific CHS find and replace section and hit F1, then it short page to show up (not external, but from CHS Help)
with e.g.
\t  = tab
\n = new line
\r = carriage return
\s = space

and an example like: remove all tabs, new lines and symbols < and > for instance: (<|\n|>|\t)

=
SnagIt-19112013 095101.png
=