ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Review of Zeus Edit

<< < (3/9) > >>

wraith808:
The review summary table indicates that the price for Zeus is $69.95, but the price that comes up in the shopping cart if I start to register the software (that's the only place I found a price on the vendor's website) is $89.95.  Is the price in the review just a typo error?

Also, I wonder if there's a clear policy for upgrades? The review summary says, "Free updates for new builds of the same version", but it's not clear to me what that might be. It seems that there was a cut off for free updates between 3.97i and 3.97k (though another page on the site indicates that the cut off was at version 3.97c).  So it seems that a major upgrade point occurred with just a version number change that usually indicates a bugfix-only release for most software.
-mwb1100 (September 03, 2013, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for those catches.  It is indeed 89.95, and I've updated the review with that.  And it seemed that it was latest builds looking at the upgrade, but I'll have to check on that.  There is information at this link, and it appears that the version cut off was 2 years ago, but indeed, now I see what you mean- there doesn't seem to be a clear cut-off to a version purchased today.

tomos:
Another note: Due to the generosity of Jussi, ZeusEdit is on special for 49% off for members only.  Please check the thread in the discounts area for more information.
-wraith808 (September 02, 2013, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

:up:

(just in case anyone missed it!)

rjbull:
I'm a believer in plain text, but not a coder.

I looked at an older version of Zeus some years back, and was disappointed in its very limited WordStar emulation.  That's not picking on Zeus as such; it's routine with Windows editors, with the exception of WSedit.  I'd like to know how much WordStar emulation the current version of Zeus has.

wraith808:
I'm a believer in plain text, but not a coder.

I looked at an older version of Zeus some years back, and was disappointed in its very limited WordStar emulation.  That's not picking on Zeus as such; it's routine with Windows editors, with the exception of WSedit.  I'd like to know how much WordStar emulation the current version of Zeus has.
-rjbull (September 03, 2013, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've never used WordStar, but I'll try to take a look.  What I'd really suggest is to look at the latest version and post on their boards to get a better idea.  There's a 45 day trial, and a lite version for free.  The boards are very active from what I've seen also.  Jussi might also drop by, so if so, he might be able to answer, especially if you reply with what you see as missing.

Jussi Jumppanen:
> not sure what allow nested comments does.
--- End quote ---

Those setting controls how the block comments work.

Consider how the block comments work in C++ (and most other languages):

/* this is comment
      /* this is comment
      */ this is not comment

The block comments above are not nested as both of the /* end at the single */ end comment.

Sure enough there are some languages out there that work like this:

/* this is comment
      /* this is comment
      */ this is still a comment
      */ this is not comment

Don't ask me which language they are, but somewhere along the line a Zeus user would have asked for this feature.

> I'm not sure what the Quick Help tab is used for on first viewing.
--- End quote ---

Quick Help lets you integrate help files into the editor.

For example if you have the MSDN installed on your machine that would be one of the first things I would recommend adding to the document type.

But the Quick Help can also import chm or hlp files.

To see how it works consider this Zeus macro function:

beep_disable()

Place the cursor on the beep_disable function and then use the Help, Quick Help Current Word menu (or Alt+Q).

Cheers Jussi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version