ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Review of Zeus Edit

<< < (5/9) > >>

rjbull:
I'd like to know how much WordStar emulation the current version of Zeus has.
--- End quote ---
I'll be honest; the emulation modes in Zeus rely heavily on user feedback.-Jussi Jumppanen (September 03, 2013, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think the problem (from my POV) is twofold.  (1) WordStar works completely differently from just about all Windows editors I've seen with many operations needing two-key commands like Ctrl+K,B, and marked blocks being persistent: and (2) Microsoft stole important WordStar keys like Ctrl+X etc. for its own purposes, rendering them hard to recover for WordStar users.  Changing from one system to the other requires a radical change of personality.  I doubt you have many "pure text" users who aren't coders, so it may not be worth pursuing.  Is it possible for users to do their own keymapping?  And is such a feature available in the free version?

Jussi Jumppanen:
WordStar works completely differently from just about all Windows editors I've seen with many operations needing two-key commands
--- End quote ---
Not unlike EMACS in that regard and Zeus has an EMACS binding that was added on the request to an EMACS user.

many operations needing two-key commands like Ctrl+K,B, and marked blocks being persistent
--- End quote ---
I turned on Wordstar in Zeus to test Ctrl+K,B and I can see it turns on the block marking. I could then mark a region of text by moving the cursor with the keyboard.

After I had marked a region of text I ended block marking by using the Ctrl+K,K keys.

That marked area would persistent even if I used the keyboard to moved the cursor to another page or if I started entering new text.

But the marked area was removed if I used the mouse  to move the cursor and that may well be a bug, I'm not sure?

As I've never used Wordstar, I don't even know if the behaviour I described above is even correct :(

But that keyboard behaviour is user configurable ;)

Is it possible for users to do their own keymapping?
--- End quote ---

Yes.

And is such a feature available in the free version?
--- End quote ---

Yes.

rjbull:
Thanks, Jussi.  I'll maybe take a look, once I get a round tuit.

Vurbal:
Based on what's been completed of this review I decided to try out the program and compare it against my current editor of choice - Komodo Edit - because the overall philosophy behind them seems similar. Since I mostly deal with HTML I could never justify purchasing Komodo IDE for close to $400.

So far I have to say my first impression seems pretty accurate. There's a lot for me to learn to translate what I do in Komodo Edit to Zeus but I'm already very impressed with the amount of work put into making it work with so many freely available tools and proactively providing solutions (via the support forum) for numerous scenarios.

wraith808:
Based on what's been completed of this review I decided to try out the program and compare it against my current editor of choice - Komodo Edit - because the overall philosophy behind them seems similar. Since I mostly deal with HTML I could never justify purchasing Komodo IDE for close to $400.

So far I have to say my first impression seems pretty accurate. There's a lot for me to learn to translate what I do in Komodo Edit to Zeus but I'm already very impressed with the amount of work put into making it work with so many freely available tools and proactively providing solutions (via the support forum) for numerous scenarios.
-Vurbal (September 11, 2013, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think your experience with the price is very similar to mine.  I know that people say that software is only worth what will be paid for it, but it's more than that.  It seems that the whole philosophy with Zeus Edit is to give you an IDE that you can justify the price of easily.  My employer pays for the basics in an IDE... which for C# is Visual Studio.  But as a programmer, I prefer something lean- which is what the alternate IDEs are.  But I don't have the deep pockets of my employer, so justifying a $400 price tag is hard.

I had a deadline come up at work, but I plan to jump back into this. But I will say, having to get stuff done rather than just evaluating and putting Zeus to the test, I'm very impressed with how seamlessly it has fit into and become a vital part of my workflow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version