topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Warp Drive Tech?  (Read 2039 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Warp Drive Tech?
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:41 PM »
It's unlikely that you will ever get beyond the edges of the Earth's atmosphere, but, with the aid of the warp drive, your kids or grandchildren may be able to help spread freedom and democracy to other worlds so that they too may be wonderful bastions of Terran alien policy, free from the tyranny of self-government. :P

http://news.yahoo.co...uster-114310551.html

Warp-drive technology, a form of "faster than light" travel popularized by TV's "Star Trek," could be bolstered by the physics of quantum thrusters — another science-fiction idea made plausible by modern science.

NASA scientists are performing experiments that could help make warp drive a possibility sometime in the future from a lab built for the Apollo program at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

A warp-drive-enabled spacecraft would look like a football with two large rings fully encircling it. The rings would utilize an exotic form of matter to cause space-time to contract in front of and expand behind them. Harold "Sonny" White, a NASA physicist, is experimenting with these concepts on a smaller scale using a light-measuring device in the lab. [Warp Drives and Transporters: How 'Star Trek' Tech Works (Infographic)]

More at the link, and do check out the infographic.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how we'd be like "The Federation". At the moment, it looks like we'd be much more akin to Kirk and Archer's Klingons or the Romulans. My guess is that given the transhumanism going on, we may look more like the Borg by the time warp drives are ready. Where is Q when you need him? :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Warp Drive Tech?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:55 PM »
Nah, we'd be more like the apes around the Obelisk.

With warp drive.