ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft demands default email be Outlook. I can't change this.

<< < (3/3)

wraith808:
google does the same thing for gmail.
--- End quote ---

Can you clarify what you are saying?
-mouser (August 29, 2013, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Google has an extension that makes it the default handler for mail.  It is not a browser, but a little app that sits in your tray.  I think they may have deprecated it so you have to use google talk (which is registered the same way).

Google Notifier

app103:
In case you don't know, you can use ANY desktop email client for AOL mail.

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=73219

I suggest if you plan on switching back and forth between using desktop email software and the AOL software (or webmail), that you configure your email client to use IMAP instead of POP3. That way your mail stays stored on their servers, like you are used to.

Does AOL even offer a stand-alone mail client that you CAN make the default?  As in, a client that is non-browser based?  If so, does it show up in the list of programs (on the left side of the Set Default Programs window) you can choose from?
-skwire (August 29, 2013, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

They used to, but they killed off AOL Communicator (which was actually quite nice) when they opened up IMAP access to their users, allowing them to pretty much use whatever software they wanted.

TaoPhoenix:
Possibly this may help: GmailDefaultMaker

Note: It's not only for GMail.

Supported Web-Based Email Service Providers:

* Yahoo...

--- End quote ---
-4wd (August 29, 2013, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was never worried about this, but this looks like a nice finesse I may try because I am tired of keeping getting Outlook Express in certain contexts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version