ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use Program - Mini-Review

<< < (9/10) > >>

Shades:
For consumers the cloud could be seen as an option. For companies I fear there are legal issues...depending on the nature of work the company does, of course.

If you work for a company that delivers services for other companies which require you to sign contracts allowing you to open their files containing their trade secrets...storing those in the cloud consciously or unconsciously isn't smart. When (not if) things go wrong, the company you work for will get into legal disputes over which party in the whole cloud endeavor is to blame. Costly disputes...easily nullifying whatever financial gains you think you are making by going cloud, instead of doing things properly yourself.

The extra dependency on a decently functioning internet connection for the business hours your company keeps is also quickly forgotten (and the extra costs that business ISP accounts entail). You aren't considering this, but having such connections is not a given in large parts of this planet either.

In my book there are a lot of hidden costs behind a workflow that isn't nearly as beneficial as cloud companies present them to be. And legal issues make things more "cloudy".

Then again, if it works for you...it works for you.

dr_andus:
Just to be clear, MS Office 365 is installed and runs locally on your PC, and you don't need to save anything in the cloud.

I'm not sure if it's restricted to the Office 2010 version that I have (using it in Win7), but it offers the local save as default (in fact I can't even find OneDrive there as an option).

I vaguely recall that maybe it's Office 2013 that tries to force you to save on OneDrive first? (I don't have 2013 installed any more, so can't check). But even there you can just ignore and save locally.

wraith808:
Just to be clear, MS Office 365 is installed and runs locally on your PC, and you don't need to save anything in the cloud.
-dr_andus (September 20, 2015, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is correct. I have it, and use it, and I always have the choice of where to save.  And it keeps my last locations handy, and if I open something and do a save as, it defaults to that same location. 

This is the save dialog for a new document:

I don't see how that's any different than the current versions affinity for c:\users\username\documents

IainB:
...so I don't have to endure the aforementioned font rendering problem...
-dr_andus (September 20, 2015, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

So now that you have installed (?) MS Office 2010 on your Windows OS, how it it working out? Is it more legible?
What OS are you using?
Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of MS Office?

I am using 32-bit MS Office 2013, on Win10-64bit Pro.
My eyes really object to the glary display.

IainB:
...and I always have the choice of where to save...
-wraith808 (September 20, 2015, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point.
I always want my working stuff on my client PC's hard drive, and in the Cloud (for backup/contingency). So I attempt to get the best of both worlds and usually save to the OneDrive directory on my hard drive, and I have my User documents directory mapped to OneDrive.

With OneNote though - and which is part of MS Office - I got OneNote to move all my primary Notebooks from their former default location on the hard drive to OneDrive. That way, they don't figure as a workload component in my usual backup regime (I TRUST OneDrive) and can be accessed by others (OneNote is a pretty good collaboration tool). The Notebooks are cached to the hard drive and can be accessed when offline.

For example, the other day I was sat down alongside my daughter, and we each had a laptop on our laps, and I introduced her to using OneNote and Excel and SC (Screenshot Captor) to:

* 1. write up the notes for her latest science assignment (using OneNote), with me working collaboratively online;
* 2. conduct a statistical analysis and charting of the time series data (observations) involved (using Excel and its graphing capability);
* 3. save the Excel Workbook as an embedded file in her Notebook.
* 4. manipulate images captured in OneNote (manipulation done using SC);
Having learned what drudgery it is to try and do that sort of thing by hand, even using a scientific calculator, and never having previously understood what OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) or collaborative online working implied, she was blown away by the experience - very impressed. There'll be no holding her back now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version