ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use Program - Mini-Review

<< < (6/10) > >>

IainB:
My setup:

* Laptop: HP ENVY 14
* CPU: with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
* GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
In attempting to overcome the glary nature of the high-res display on my laptop, I have:

* Experimented with and set and reset ClearType several times to check it is right for me.
* Experimented with setting all graphics and animations ON and OFF. Left them all ON.
* Experimented with setting the GPU ON and OFF for display assistance. Left it ON.
MS Office 32-bit versions 2007 and 2013 are installed and they have both worked and displayed just fine throughout these changes.
So far, I have been unable to reproduce the problem(s) as described by yourself and others with v2013.
The question I have is thus "How come?"

dr_andus:
So far, I have been unable to reproduce the problem(s) as described by yourself and others with v2013.
The question I have is thus "How come?"
-IainB (March 13, 2014, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

My system looks very similar to yours (MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 8.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, Adapter RAM 1.00 GB, Acer PC), so I'm also wondering why this is occurring on some systems and not others. I presume that if this had been affecting the majority, then MS would have done something about it by now.

The only thing I can think of is that I have Aero and all other fancy enhancements switched off. I'm just using a plain vanilla Windows Classic theme. I guess I could poke around in those settings, but I'd rather stick with Office 2010 than switch full Aero back on.

IainB:
...but I'd rather stick with Office 2010 than switch full Aero back on.
-dr_andus (March 13, 2014, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why?    :tellme:

40hz:
This is interesting. I once worked for one of the Fortune 10 behemoths in the 80s. I was directly involved with software licensing. We had what was then called a "corporate sitewide license" for Windows, Office, and Visio.

As part of the deal, all the employees of the company were free to install MS Office on their home machines free of charge and legally use it for as long as they remained employees...

We used to refer to it as making the company "pirate proof."

Now, for those companies that have a home use plan as part of their license, employees get to pay $10 out of their own pocket for the same privilege.

I guess Microsoft realized they were leaving money on the table since people today seem to think it's a good deal. ;D

tomos:
Thanks, I did try that. Elsewhere it's been suggested that there is no solution to this yet.
[...]

RolandOH replied on

The cause for Office, Modern UI and IE10 to look so bad is that they use a new graphics rendering API offered in Windows 8 (and with updates on Windows 7, too).
The new font rendering engine offered by this new API simply doesn't have Clear Type implemented. So unless Microsoft patches this new API to support Clear Type, no program using this API will ever be able to do so.
[...]
The bad thing is: no one can help you with the font rendering problem. You're on your own, as a consumer. For me that meant to downgrade back to Office 2010, ignoring Modern UI and all apps completely and ditching IE 10 (but hey, that's a no-brainer, isn't it?).
--- End quote ---
-dr_andus (March 13, 2014, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

So it sounds like one should be wary of updating to IE10/11 as well...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version