ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use Program - Mini-Review

(1/10) > >>

IainB:
Originally posted:2013-08-30Last updated2015-02-17
Basic Info
App NameMS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use ProgramThumbs-Up Rating :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:App URLhttp://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/chooser.aspx?culture=en-USApp Version ReviewedMS Office Professional
Test System SpecsMS Win7-64 Home PremiumSupported OSesWindows 7 and MacSupport MethodsExtensive  MS Office supportUpgrade PolicyAutomatic updates for this product version.Trial Version Available?No. (This is a special offer.)Pricing SchemeUS$9.95Relevant linksUseful OneNote links
Intro and Overview:
This review is about purchasing/using MS Office 2013 under Microsoft’s Home Use Program.
If you or a family member works for a company that runs MS Office as part of the corporate licensing program, then you may be eligible for Microsoft’s Home Use Program.
Per worldstart.com:
Want Microsoft Office? $9.95 Could Get You A Copy
Sunday, January 27th, 2013 by Tim

The most popular office productivity software is Microsoft Office, with millions of users in schools, businesses and at home. The major complaint of almost everyone who uses Office isn’t about the quality of the software, but the price.  The full version of Office 2013 Plus runs close to $500.  How would you like to get a completely legal official copy from Microsoft for only $10?

The good news is if your company runs Office as part of the corporate licensing program, you may be eligible for Microsoft’s Home Use Program. This program allows you to download a copy for only $9.95. To check if you’re eligible, contact your company’s IT department or visit the Home Use Program website by clicking here.  Click “Don’t know your program code? Click Here” and type in your work e-mail. If you are eligible, you’ll be sent an e-mail with a link to be able to purchase it at the special price.

The version currently offered by Home Use Program is Office 2013 Professional Plus which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Access, Publisher, InfoPath and Lync. This version is the full version and does not require you to have previously owned Office and is still valid even if you end up leaving your job. This version is for home use and can be installed on two computers. It is not controlled, monitored or paid for by your companies IT department so you can use it for all of your personal needs without worrying about if it’s allowed under the company’s IT policy.

Tim

P.S. Don’t qualify? Don’t despair, you can still download for free OpenOffice which is a free office suite compatible with Microsoft Office files. While it does not have the updated Office interface or all the bells and whistles, it performs the vast majority of office suite tasks fantastically totally free.

--- End quote ---

Description:

Making the purchase:

Who this software deal is designed for:
Home use software and licence for people who work for a company that runs MS Office as part of the corporate licensing program (Microsoft’s Home Use Program).

The Good:
Incredibly useful and excellent value for MS' leading office package.
Works fine under Windows 7.
NB: Seems to be designed for full-featured optimal use with SkyDrive and/or corporate systems under Windows 8, and using integration with latest version of Internet Explorer (e.g., for SharePoint).

Needs Improvement:
(No notes on this. This review does not evaluate the programs in the MS Office suite.)

Why I think you should use this product:
Gives you the ability to run the full range of MS Office products from home-based PCs, integrating with remote corporate systems (e.g., SharePoint, Lync, InfoPath).

How it compares to similar products:
As it says in the worldstart.com: post above:
P.S. Don’t qualify? Don’t despair, you can still download for free OpenOffice which is a free office suite compatible with Microsoft Office files. While it does not have the updated Office interface or all the bells and whistles, it performs the vast majority of office suite tasks fantastically totally free.

--- End quote ---

Conclusions:
A no-brainer for eligible purchasers.
Incredibly useful and excellent value.
Flexible licence terms.
No-fuss, simple and quick purchase/download and installation.

Contro:
incredible indeed.

:-[

IainB:
Yes. With a little bit of gumption, many users who might otherwise feel that MS Office was out of their reach could probably avail themselves of this package deal.

Innuendo:
Thanks for this.

I'd known about the program in the past, but every email address I threw at it didn't qualify, but I stumbled across this thread the other day & thought since I just recently started a new job I'd give it a go again.

This time not only did I meet with success to qualify for Microsoft Office for $9.95, the web site also politely asked if I'd like to take advantage of purchasing Visio Professional 2013 (MSRP $499.95) as well. Since I could use Visio in my classes, I of course threw that in my cart, too. My suspicion is that what agreement your employer has with Microsoft will dictate whether or not you are offered Visio (or perhaps other Microsoft's products) for purchase as well.

As for the mini-review, I think leaving the "How it compares to other products" section empty was a mistake. At least mentioning competing products (both free and paid) would help readers who don't qualify for this excellent program. However, I'm not going to be too critical of a post that just saved me nearly $1,000.  8)

x16wda:
Hm, I didn't realize that was still valid. Was the Visio priced at $9.95 also?   :Thmbsup:  That's a no-brainer!

I have a love-hate relationship with the other Office 2013 programs (except for Outlook 2013, that is purely a hate-hate relationship!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version