ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Vocab tune-up

<< < (4/7) > >>

Vurbal:
Hey Vurbal, forgive my tardiness in welcoming you to the site. Welcome!
-kyrathaba (August 29, 2013, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you!

And congratulations on your novel!

kyrathaba:
congratulations on your novel!
--- End quote ---

Oh! Thanks!

If you want an ebook copy, you can get one for $0.90 USD here: williambryanmiller.com

If you want a paperback and are in the US, I can get it for you cheaper than you can buy it yourself on Amazon.

Sadly, the novel doesn't distinguish itself by using any of the words mentioned in the link referenced in my OP...

rjbull:
I think the Oxford dictionaries work on "historical principles," which means that they record how the language is being used and include new words as soon as they are established.  They aren't trying a top-down enforcement of Proper English.

Vurbal:
congratulations on your novel!
--- End quote ---

Oh! Thanks!

I you want an ebook copy, you can get one for $0.90 USD here: williambryanmiller.com

If you want a paperback and are in the US, I can get it for you cheaper than you can buy it yourself on Amazon.

Sadly, the novel doesn't distinguish itself by using any of the words mentioned in the link referenced in my OP...
-kyrathaba (August 30, 2013, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I literally have no money to spend right at the moment but it's on my short list of books to check out when that changes.

tomos:
I think the Oxford dictionaries work on "historical principles," which means that they record how the language is being used and include new words as soon as they are established.  They aren't trying a top-down enforcement of Proper English.
-rjbull (August 30, 2013, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read an article from Slate yesterday about the Oxford dictionaries - they've diversified :-) These words were added to the Online dictionary (and maybe the next "Shorter" Oxford Dictionary?), but not to the main "Oxford English Dictionary" (OED).

• The dictionary content in ODO [Oxford Dictionaries Online] focuses on current English and includes modern meanings and uses of words
• The OED, on the other hand, is a historical dictionary and it forms a record of all the core words and meanings in English over more than 1,000 years, from Old English to the present day, including many obsolete and historical terms. Words are never removed from the OED.
--- End quote ---

THe OED one has about 20 (or whatever) volumes. The OED 'style' is based on Johnson's English dictionary. (I know that from Henry Hitching's book about Dr. Johnson's Dictionary - which was a suprisingly entertaining read btw).

the slate article was relevant to this thread, but I didnt bother posting it at the time cause the tone was just too self-righteous :-\ Reminded me of people who insist the system tray should actually be called something else...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version