ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Petition with Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales + Demand Progress - re Richard O'Dwyer

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
Another example of "emergency" powers being abused

"The UK has a rather lopsided extradition arrangement with the US that was put in place in the context of the 'war on terror'. Under the arrangement, the US can demand the extradition of a UK citizen to face charges there without probable cause. The reverse does not apply."

Some TV shows may qualify as "atrocities" but it strikes me as abusing the "arrangement" to use it to demand extradition of this guy. Isn't there any way of repealing it? Or at least balancing it out?

--- End quote ---

THIS.  I hate that this set precedent. :(

Stoic Joker:
Another example of "emergency" powers being abused

"The UK has a rather lopsided extradition arrangement with the US that was put in place in the context of the 'war on terror'. Under the arrangement, the US can demand the extradition of a UK citizen to face charges there without probable cause. The reverse does not apply."

Some TV shows may qualify as "atrocities" but it strikes me as abusing the "arrangement" to use it to demand extradition of this guy. Isn't there any way of repealing it? Or at least balancing it out?

--- End quote ---

THIS.  I hate that this set precedent. :(
-wraith808 (August 27, 2013, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

+100 - Danger Will Robinson... Danger! Danger!

Renegade:
Good to know - Bummer they didn't just drop the silliness.
-Stoic Joker (August 27, 2013, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

When somebody hasn't done anything wrong, and you want to punish them, you don't drop it. You simply sick the dogs on them and ruin them in court through lawyer's fees, lost time, etc. Whether or not you win doesn't matter. You've still ruined them.

Convictions are really only a matter of pride for prosecutors. They can exact any vengeance they want by continually bringing people into court. And good news for them - double-jeopardy doesn't matter anymore. That just got thrown out as well. So, if they don't like a verdict, they just try again now. Either way they win. You either go to prison or you're ruined by the costs of trials. The prosecutor has unlimited funds - you simply can't compete with that, and they know it.

Stoic Joker:
Good to know - Bummer they didn't just drop the silliness.
-Stoic Joker (August 27, 2013, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

When somebody hasn't done anything wrong, and you want to punish them, you don't drop it. You simply sick the dogs on them and ruin them in court through lawyer's fees, lost time, etc. Whether or not you win doesn't matter. You've still ruined them.-Renegade (August 27, 2013, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, as I've covered in comments elsewhere on the board. Once you're in-the-system...you are hosed .... Regardless of whether or not you "beat" the charges.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version