ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List all subfolders on multiple drives to text of csv

<< < (2/6) > >>

dcwul62:
Yes, I am using Opus, but there I have to select each drive and copy paste them into Excel, removing headers, bla bla.
Directory Opus (as far as I know) sofar does not support, say F:\Folder1; G:\Folder2; H:\Folder3  etc.  (so it is one-by-one)

@4wd: SMF Yes, I found it, the folder thing.
Regretfully, it converts sizes and dates a bit differently, e.g.
2012.11.07-15:47:48 results in 20121107154748

I think I will stick to Opus and accept the extra copy paste once in a while. Was hoping for a very simple solution.  :)

=

=

skwire:
Was hoping for a very simple solution.-dcwul62 (August 27, 2013, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

How deep are you going into those root folders you mention?  One level?  Two?  All?

4wd:
Regretfully, it converts sizes and dates a bit differently, e.g.
2012.11.07-15:47:48 results in 20121107154748-dcwul62 (August 27, 2013, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

A logical format in a constantly increasing number - makes it really easy to sort data :)

However, since this is going into Excel I would have thought that a simple data format conversion on the column would fix that - something Excel should be more than capable of doing.

At least with SMF you can do all folders across all drives at once.

rjbull:
You might get some mileage from the Unix "LS" command.  A port of the brute command line version is included GNU utilities for Win32 (UnxUtils.zip), but I don't think it does CSV natively.  However, there's a WinGUI version of LS that does.  It's been mentioned on DC numerous times, including:

* Re: Karen's Directory Printer - copy content of a directory to txt file or print it
(this earlier post of mine includes a copy of LS)
* LS - File List Generator (for Windows)
* Re: External Drive Content Lister?
(includes portablefreeware link to LS) A minor problem is that this LS doesn't exit cleanly, it appears to crash on exit!  But it still works well.

4wd:
NOTE: I don't use Excel, I have Softmaker Office which has PlanMaker but I don't see this being that different.

Further to the import into Excel, all fields are Text with the exception of size which is Number:

This is the data output by SMF with a little formatting:

To get it after import:

For the date:

For the size:

Another note, I use a spreadsheet program on average, once every 5 years - so there's probably a lot easier way to do this. eg. Make a worksheet template and import the data so it appears already formatted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version