ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

SSC 4.5 options GUI font INCREDIBLY small

<< < (4/5) > >>

Vurbal:
That's exactly why I leave it turned off. IMO it does exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to. The subpixels used to extend font edges just make it look fuzzy to me.

tomos:
^I just tried without and got a fright - maybe it depends on the fonts you use and the screen dot-pitch - but I'll stick with it here ;)

Vurbal:
^I just tried without and got a fright - maybe it depends on the fonts you use and the screen dot-pitch - but I'll stick with it here ;)
-tomos (August 27, 2013, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I should probably have mentioned my autism drastically changes my sensory experience compared to most people. Technically it's referred to as Sensory Processing Disorder. Most people prefer clear type because their brain ignores the odd colors on font edges and only the shape correction is registered. My brain doesn't do that so it bugs me to no end.

I have the same problem with any type of highly compressed digital video. Where most people ignore most compression artifacts automatically my eyes are actually drawn to them.

worstje:
That's exactly why I leave it turned off. IMO it does exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to. The subpixels used to extend font edges just make it look fuzzy to me.
-Vurbal (August 27, 2013, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just to make sure: ClearType is properly configured? There's a couple different layouts for subpixels (think red-green-blue or blue-green-red), and it is badly configured it can look absolutely terrible.

Besides that, I can understand liking a Cleartype-less font; it indeed does have some charms. (And compression artifacts.. depending on the kind of compression and the degree of it, I can't stand it either. But it is very situational for me.)

Vurbal:
-Vurbal (August 27, 2013, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Just to make sure: ClearType is properly configured? There's a couple different layouts for subpixels (think red-green-blue or blue-green-red), and it is badly configured it can look absolutely terrible.

Besides that, I can understand liking a Cleartype-less font; it indeed does have some charms.
-worstje (August 27, 2013, 08:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've played with the options quite a bit and even went to the trouble of verifying my monitor has RGB rather than BGR subpixel ordering. As with video compression it's all a question of which imperfections your brain can ignore. For me the answer is typically none of the above.

I also can't rule out some of the problem being with my particular monitor. The built-in gamma correction is horrendous. In order to get approximately correct colors I have to reduce the gamma to 0.8 in the ATI Vision Control Center. I've never owned a laptop with a high enough quality display to make a useful comparison.

Based on what I know about how human vision works I suspect if it were possible for my monitor to change the subpixel order, ensuring green were always on the very edge, it wouldn't be a big deal. Green frequencies account for the vast majority of our vision, followed very distantly by red, and even more distantly by blue. I never notice green edges on fonts with ClearType but red and blue edges just make characters look smeared to me.

But like I said, that's a me thing and I have the same problems with my other senses - particularly hearing and touch.

(And compression artifacts.. depending on the kind of compression and the degree of it, I can't stand it either. But it is very situational for me.)

--- End quote ---

Part of my problem with video artifacts probably stems from years spent studying and experimenting when I wrote a lot of tutorials on the subject. I usually avoid pointing them out to other people since I figure the less they see, the more enjoyable the experience will be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version