ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Nonplussed - Windows 7 random BSODS

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
I always suspect memory chips.
I would swap out all but one, see if problem remains.  If so, replace it and try once more (use a dif slot too).

IainB:
If it was previously fine in the user's site, and if it worked fine and passed all CPU/RAM/disk tests whilst sited in CH's house environment, but now promptly BSODs again on return to user's site, then I would suggest an analysis of the user's environment. Something may have been changed in the user environment.

In particular, I would suggest consideration be given to the possibility of "unclean" mains power supply fluctuations, nearby strong or high frequency radio transmissions, and proximity EMI (electro-magnetic induction). Also check that the mains has a PME (positive multiple earth).

EMI is pretty rare. I have on only one occasion come across a definite case of EMI in computing, and that was in a mainframe computer room environment, where the cause was one data-carrying cable lying on top of another, and we solved the problem by running the uppermost cable along a 3-inch high metal bridge, over the lower cable.

Also, don't overlook the possibility of a poorly mounted chip, or loose cable connection, or dry joint on the circuitboard (the bad connection may have been accidentally temporarily reconnected by moving to CH's house).

worstje:
What other hardware does the user have at home? I recall reading about a Microsoft kernel/driver engineer who at one point had similarly crazy problems, and he found out that his external harddrive had a bug in its driver that caused such BSODs. (He also managed to get the bug pushed to the vendor and fixed, so that specific one shouldn't be an issue anymore).

Regardless, I can well imagine it being some sort of weird interplay. One wonky USB port, one wonky device, or maybe just some mutual sneaky dislike somehow. It wouldn't be the first time the problem was sneaky like that.

40hz:
Long shot - but since you seem to be there already...

Check the power supply. I've had many weird lockups and hangs under Windows (that I thought were caused by software because of the stop codes) turn out to be attributable to a desktop Dell power supply doing intermittent 'weird things' with the electricity.

Had one client who had really severe voltage drops in his house most times the AC came on. That would cause spontaneous reboots. In our shop it would be fine. It was only when he took it back home it acted up.

He told us he had a UPS so it didn't occur to us he really meant he had a surge suppressor. Eventually it damaged the power supply since too low a voltage can cause transformers to run really hot.

Luck. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Krishean found out that connecting his Nexus 4 to his PC and rebooting the phone would reliably cause the PC to BSOD. Maybe it's something similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version