ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Nonplussed - Windows 7 random BSODS

<< < (3/4) > >>

Vurbal:
If it was previously fine in the user's site, and if it worked fine and passed all CPU/RAM/disk tests whilst sited in CH's house environment, but now promptly BSODs again on return to user's site, then I would suggest an analysis of the user's environment. Something may have been changed in the user environment.

In particular, I would suggest consideration be given to the possibility of "unclean" mains power supply fluctuations, nearby strong or high frequency radio transmissions, and proximity EMI (electro-magnetic induction). Also check that the mains has a PME (positive multiple earth).

-IainB (August 26, 2013, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dirty power would definitely be my first (or next) suspicion based on the OP. That's common here in Iowa, particularly in rural areas and in older houses which are rarely grounded properly (or at all) regardless of what electrical upgrades have been performed over the years. It can also be caused by something as basic as a faulty power cord or surge protector and it could even be isolated to a single circuit within the building.

Questionable quality power supplies, or even power supplies which aren't designed to deliver significantly more wattage than the computer requires are more likely to be affected by this. Assuming the is the original OEM power supply both probably apply. A cheap ATX power supply tester might show the problem, but it's equally (or even more) likely it would only be detectable under a normal operating load.

Even with the right equipment tracking down power issues is something of a black art. Without that equipment even an expert is stuck with educated guesses combined and swapping or bypassing components.

Stoic Joker:
Check the power-source (low voltage? ), and possibly new office-equipment sending out 'bad vibes' over AC-power.
-Ath (August 26, 2013, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Just had one awhile back that would reboot every time the client printed...or a fax came in. Turns out they had a multifunction laser printer plugged into the UPS.

Edgy PSU also sounds plausible.

mouser:
+1 to the idea of making sure the bsods aren't happening when some device (external hd, etc.) is plugged in.

TaoPhoenix:
What other hardware does the user have at home? I recall reading about a Microsoft kernel/driver engineer who at one point had similarly crazy problems, and he found out that his external harddrive had a bug in its driver that caused such BSODs. (He also managed to get the bug pushed to the vendor and fixed, so that specific one shouldn't be an issue anymore).

Regardless, I can well imagine it being some sort of weird interplay. One wonky USB port, one wonky device, or maybe just some mutual sneaky dislike somehow. It wouldn't be the first time the problem was sneaky like that.
-worstje (August 26, 2013, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm going to borrow this comment.

I'm fighting my feeble memory and losing, but I had a case at my old job sorta like this.

Blah Blah, comp works, then all of a sudden it started bsod'ing, so it wasn't power supplies etc. I swear it was a *software program* that did it, and (don't hurt me if I mangle this vague reason) but it was something like the program interacted in a weird edge case with the driver, so then it became a "driver problem" causing the bsod. And if I had to pick a driver, I'd say it was maybe the video driver dealing with dual screens and maybe a program that didn't have that properly supported.

Vurbal:
^ IME video and USB are the most common culprits of mystery driver problems. Video because so many system (software) components interact with it in a multitude of different ways and USB typically because Windows gets confused when a single USB port is used for too many different devices - particularly when there's storage involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version