ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Screenshot Captor Early Beta Release: v4.6.4 Beta - Sep 11, 2013

<< < (5/8) > >>

tomos:
Well, to be more consistent, shouldn't it just be referred to as "Image" instead of "Image bitmap", or "Image / region Bitmap", or "Bitmap"? Bitmap to me implies a *.bmp filetype. If you don't have bitmap set as your default image filetype, then it could be confusing. Why not just refer to it as "Image" in the Edit>Copy to Clipboard menu and Post Capture Options settings?-bubbajunk (September 03, 2013, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

there are inconsistencies in the world of images - the use of 'bitmap' is one. It is often used to imply a pixel image - as opposed to a vector one. To me 'image' could also be a vector image. But as you say this leads to confusion due to the bmp format...

bubbajunk:
So it sounds like there are bitmap images and vector images. If the words "bitmap" and "vector" are adjectives that describe the noun "images", why not just eliminate the adjective and refer to the thing that is being captured as an "image"? I think if you asked 9 out of 10 people, they couldn't decribe the difference between bitmap and vector images.

Also, wondering if Mouser saw the request to incorporate the use of the arrow keys and cross hairs and outlines when capturing regions that I described above?

Vurbal:
Well, to be more consistent, shouldn't it just be referred to as "Image" instead of "Image bitmap", or "Image / region Bitmap", or "Bitmap"? Bitmap to me implies a *.bmp filetype. If you don't have bitmap set as your default image filetype, then it could be confusing. Why not just refer to it as "Image" in the Edit>Copy to Clipboard menu and Post Capture Options settings?
-bubbajunk (September 03, 2013, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

While I can understand how it would be confusing, it's actually more complicated than that and bitmap is probably the least obscure terminology to use. If you're saving to PNG or TIFF format when you open the file you'll still have the original bitmap to work with. But if you're converting to JPEG  after capture but before editing it's not a bitmap (ie raster) file any more.

When you open your JPEG it will be decoded to a bitmap but it won't be identical to the bitmap you captured. JPEG compression results in a sophisticated mathematical approximation of the original bitmap. It's sort of like the difference between the original audio ripped from a CD and a MP3 file. You might not notice or care about the difference but if you do it's an important distinction.

mouser:
One thing that often confuses me:
If you choose the style of the start-/endpoint *before" you actually draw the line, at the first line the endpoint is unaffected from the setting.
--- End quote ---

thanks xbeta -- that bug is now on my todo list.
hopefully fixed in new upload.

Did you happen to see my post above about enabling use of hte arrow keys and changing the cross hair and box color during selection?
--- End quote ---

bubba, let's discuss in a separate thread.

mouser:
New beta uploaded, with a couple of noteworthy improvements.

One should help new users work in object mode.  When you switch to object mode to add an object, the bottom panel which normally shows filename and memo now looks like this:

Screenshot Captor Early Beta Release: v4.6.4 Beta - Sep 11, 2013

Note that experts can disable this from Object Drawing options tab if they wish.

The point of this is to solve the problem where new users click on the arrow toolbar button or something similar, and then find themselves in object editing mode with no idea how to get out of it.

What do you think of this? Any suggestions for additional/modified text to display there for beginners?  Should I color it differently so it will really stand out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version