ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ballmer Stepping Down

<< < (3/6) > >>

Vurbal:
Just because hype and fashion won doesn't mean he was wrong about that one  :tellme:
-rgdot (August 23, 2013, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it does. The people he said it doesn't appeal to are using it for exactly what he said they wouldn't. It took me less than half an hour using an iOS device to see that coming and I've never bought an Apple product in my life. Nor do I plan to.

Also he got the basics wrong. The virtual keyboard on a multitouch smartphone, even the earlier cruder ones, are a lot less clumsy than the physical keyboards on the Windows Mobile devices he was bragging about. That's without even getting into the multitude of other problems in Microsoft's earlier mobile operating systems.

rgdot:
Just because hype and fashion won doesn't mean he was wrong about that one  :tellme:
--- End quote ---

Actually it does. The people he said it doesn't appeal to are using it for exactly what he said they wouldn't. It took me less than half an hour using an iOS device to see that coming and I've never bought an Apple product in my life. Nor do I plan to.

Also he got the basics wrong. The virtual keyboard on a multitouch smartphone, even the earlier cruder ones, are a lot less clumsy than the physical keyboards on the Windows Mobile devices he was bragging about. That's without even getting into the multitude of other problems in Microsoft's earlier mobile operating systems.
-Vurbal (August 23, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree and in a way you allude to it too. When I first saw the iPod I felt the shiny feel and saw the potential appeal too but ... paying that much for the shininess is a whole different issue. To me what Ballmer was saying is true in principle, that shininess can be had for less, especially when the price point is dictated by more than just cost.

Renegade:
When I read the title, my first thought was, well, this:

Shares in Microsoft jump 9% after the software giant announces that chief executive Steve Ballmer will retire within the next 12 months. (BBC)
-joiwind (August 23, 2013, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had to read it to believe it!

Vurbal:
Just because hype and fashion won doesn't mean he was wrong about that one  :tellme:
--- End quote ---

-Vurbal (August 23, 2013, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree and in a way you allude to it too. When I first saw the iPod I felt the shiny feel and saw the potential appeal too but ... paying that much for the shininess is a whole different issue. To me what Ballmer was saying is true in principle, that shininess can be had for less, especially when the price point is dictated by more than just cost.

-rgdot (August 23, 2013, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Except his bigger point had nothing to do with cost. He wasn't saying we can make something like that cheaper. He was saying we don't need to make something like that because it's not what business customers want. But it was what business customers wanted. That's why Microsoft fell off the map in smartphones and eventually had to cobble together the first Windows Phone OS in just a few months from retread software they had lying around.

TaoPhoenix:
That's why Microsoft fell off the map in smartphones and eventually had to cobble together the first Windows Phone OS in just a few months from retread software they had lying around.
-Vurbal (August 23, 2013, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just a quibble, but I think I recall that Windows Phone wasn't "lying around" - it was an entire second attempt at a phone OS built from scratch. Cobbled together to be sure, but just a different version of the MS demise in phones - "Windows Mobile" was getting stuck and Windows Phone was desperation.

I'm no fanboy of Apple, but my iPhone *is* better than the Win Mobile 6.1 phone brick I had.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version