ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ballmer Stepping Down

(1/6) > >>

wraith808:
Surprised this hasn't already been mentioned:

Microsoft: Steve Ballmer stepping down within a year

Between Windows 8 and XBox One, I knew that there would be heads to roll at a very high level.  I even hoped for this.  But now, I have to wonder... will this mean that things will get better... or worse?

As a C# developer, I particularly wonder, even as I start to look at Ruby, Clojure, and other technologies.

Tuxman:
While Windows 8 is a pain in the ass, Ballmer made a lot of good decisions. A pity.

Vurbal:
Regardless of who is making the official decision about his successor, as long as Bill Gates is on the board of directors I'm betting he has a significant say in the matter if not an unofficial veto. It's no secret Steve Ballmer consulted closely with him on some key decisions like killing the Courier tablet. Unless his power has greatly diminished that's probably not a good sign. OTOH whoever they pick is unlikely to be as clueless as Ballmer so it almost has to be an improvement.

I suspect this is probably more about damage control over the surveillance leaks, especially the new leak from the Germans about Windows 8 and TPM, than the business problems anyway.

joiwind:
Shares in Microsoft jump 9% after the software giant announces that chief executive Steve Ballmer will retire within the next 12 months. (BBC)

Vurbal:
While Windows 8 is a pain in the ass, Ballmer made a lot of good decisions. A pity.
-Tuxman (August 23, 2013, 10:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ballmer made a good corporate salesman. In fact let's give him some credit. He did a great job on that side of the business. I can't think of any good decisions he made WRT running the company.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version