ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (416/441) > >>

holt:
This is what the Andromeda Galaxy would look like in the night sky if it was bright enough to be seen with the naked eye.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/new-map-reveals-the-milky-ways-location-among-the-cou-1541242112
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/fz7bnjojgct5s1plp7x2.jpg
Compare with the Moon just to the lower left. I had read enough times of descriptions explaining how 'big' Andromeda would appear to be, if only it were bright enough to be easily seen and identified, and I could never make any sense out of it (and quite naturally, I was always virtually dying of curiosity to find out, every time I happened to dwell on the subject).
Now, someone has gone to the trouble to create a lifelike picture of our twilight sky with a beautiful reproduction of a proper-sized Andromeda superimposed. My immediate reaction was, 'I never realized it would appear that big.'

-holt (March 18, 2020, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
There is a higher-res version(2059 x 1371) at 3 billion years from the cosmic event, the earth ’s night sky will be beautiful.
There is a discussion of the original image at Yes, That Picture of the Moon and the Andromeda Galaxy Is About Right
-Arizona Hot (March 19, 2020, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
3 billion years from the cosmic event, the earth ’s night sky will be beautiful

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Anna Kendrick Is The Indiana Jones That The World Doesn't Just Need, But Also Deserves

Interesting "stuff"

If Cryptocurrencies Were Beer…

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"    Interesting "stuff"

Indiana Jones (genderbend)

Indi-Anna Jones

Indiana Jones finds one too many exotic artifact, and is now Indi-Anna Jones.

Interesting "stuff"

InfamousDifficultBoa-mobile    (GIF)

ewemoa:
Persistent malware reinstalls itself on Android devices even after factory reset
-Arizona Hot (February 15, 2020, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I looked into this one a bit and found that at least in some cases it appears there may have been something pre-installed with the OS.

Arizona Hot:
Tnx! Now all I need is some kind of freeware to tell me where and when to find it in the night sky at my location. My EZ Cosmos stopped working with Windows 10.
-holt (March 22, 2020, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got Aladin, C2a and Stellarator from this site. I scanned them with ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes and they ran in Windows 10 with the latest version and updates. Aladin needed Java and Stellarator needed Python 3.2 or later. There were other freeware planetarium programs there also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version