ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (276/441) > >>

Arizona Hot:

10 year old autistic girl Kaylee Rodgers singing 'Hallelujah' will give you goosebumps

Interesting "stuff" From the email below.

PICTURES FOR  OLD PEOPLE - link    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzXDuoNZfRYkQTFwVDNJWlJSRjA/view?usp=sharing

IainB:
@Arizona Hot:
Thanks for the clip to that children's choir. That girl soloist certainly seems to have perfect (or near-perfect) pitch and a beautiful voice. I love the rest of the choir - they are doing a great job.

I'm 110 some days, so I looked at those "pictures for old people" and bugger me if I couldn't remember any of them! Oh, wait...

x16wda:
A lot of great pics, brought back memories. How old would you need to be to remember the 45 rpm adapters, the fuses, the full service gas? Do they even still sell caps these days or is it too dangerous? Whatever happened to mucilage, anyway?  ;D

IainB:
...Whatever happened to mucilage, anyway?
-x16wda (December 26, 2016, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I don't know whether it is still used in glues, but, since it is organic and edible and it has medicinal applications, I gather that it still has uses in some dairy products and in medicines - refer Mucilage - Wikipedia.  Mmm, mucilage, nom, nom, nom...

Maybe it has been largely replaced by synthetic forms of the mucilage now.
From my school science days, I seem to recall that mucilage used to be used to stick paper labels onto glass bottles holding chemicals, but over time the mucilage would tun into a hardened varnish which stuck OK to the bottles and was difficult to remove, but not to the back of the labels, so there were all these old bottles of chemicals in the chem lab that couldn't be so easily identified because their labels would have fallen off. Ruddy nuisance. Some of those bottles had potentially deadly contents too, so taste or sniff was out.    :o

IainB:
I have just read that on Sunday 2016-12-25, at the age of 88, Vera Rubin passed away.
She was a rather special discoverer.
She was the astronomer-scientist and later a women's advocate, whose 1970 published research observations identified, quite by chance (i.e., it was not central to the research project), that there was a minor and inexplicable anomaly in the orbital velocities of stars about a galactic centre - their orbital velocities were not quite what was mathematically predictable according to known laws of physics.

Her further research observations published in 1980 pinpointed the likely cause as being an unknown - some kind of matter was postulated - that interacted via gravity but not via the spectrum of electro-magnetic forces - - it was "invisible" across the spectrum, and cast no electro-magnetic shadow.)

So, though it had previously been thought a set of cardinal rules in physics that:

* Everything interacts via gravity.
* Everything interacts via electromagnetic forces.- here was something unknown that did not seem to obey the latter rule.

The name eventually given to this unknown was "dark matter" (arguably a bit of a misnomer), but it is still theoretical and an unknown. However, what subsequent research has established is that, theoretically, the universe is (must be) filled with this matter, with a ratio of 5-10 times more of it than the ordinary and more sparsely distributed matter. Ordinary matter is what makes up stars, planets, gas and the flora and fauna of earth, for example.

Good write-ups:

* Vera Rubin, 88, Dies; Opened Doors in Astronomy, and for Women
* How one person discovered the majority of the universe – The work of Vera Rubin
* Vera Rubin - Wikipedia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version