ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (228/441) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Classic Windows 3.1 games and programs live again thanks to the Internet Archive  PCWorld

Interesting "stuff"

iCloak plugs in to protect privacy, but it's buggy

40hz:
I predict outcomes of fraud, incompetence and disaster for the teachers and the luckless students who are to be compulsorily afflicted with this experiment. The quality of educational output will necessarily suffer in all of this. One probably only needs to look at India's educational system for a comparison.
-IainB (February 11, 2016, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.

I think it will eventually land in the same scrap heap as the old "new math" and "transformational grammar."

Once again I think it's motivated by some person or persons (possibly with the noblest of intentions) that simply can't accept the fact that not everyone is as interested, motivated, or 'smart' about mathematics as he/she/they are, and has therefor decided to "DO SOMETHING" about it. I sometimes think it's part of the larger Messiah Complex the United States sometimes suffers from. Other examples of it in action are: Prohibition, the "No Child Left Behind" fiasco; and our disastrous forays into "nation building" in Viet Nam, and more recently, the Mideast.

I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone to reintroduce something in education to show how we've been doing it "all wrong all along." Which is funny because mathematical and general illiteracy has been slowly climbing for the last thirty years in the good ol' USA. Apparently we used to know how to teach reading and math. But we've apparently lost the secret recipe somewhere along the way. Possibly it got lost in the shuffle when "interrelationship education," "caring," "cultural sensitivity," and "feeling good about yourself," turned better than half of the available classroom time into amateurish and badly conducted group therapy and rap (in the old sense of the word) sessions.

But I suppose the upcoming generation will want their crack at reintroducing failed educational experiments and social initiatives as they come into their majority. So be it.

So it goes.  ;)

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

iOS bug warning Setting this date on your iPhone or iPad will kill your device permanently

wraith808:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

iOS bug warning Setting this date on your iPhone or iPad will kill your device permanently

-Arizona Hot (February 13, 2016, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

According to Ars Technica, this happens because January 1st, 1970 is the first day of the Unix epoch, and that allowing the phone’s battery to go completely dead (or disconnecting the battery) will reset the date.

Stoic Joker:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

-Arizona Hot (February 13, 2016, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

According to Ars Technica, this happens because January 1st, 1970 is the first day of the Unix epoch, and that allowing the phone’s battery to go completely dead (or disconnecting the battery) will reset the date.
-wraith808 (February 13, 2016, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aren't the batteries non removable in those things? The rogue time server option sounds quite doable ... But IIRC there is - generally - a max adjustment limit built into the NTP protocol which Apple could/might/damn-well-better-start using.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version