ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (187/441) > >>

bit:
^I like my DVDs; they're not electronic and have no moving parts and are not likely to suddenly go DOA and lose all my backup data.
But I also like the mini-pc; unitized & modular, little to go wrong, portable, relatively inexpensive (not counting peripherals) and easy to replace with a functional up-to-date unit (unless it no longer handles an older OS).

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"
Google’s Driverless Cars Run Into Problem Cars - With Drivers - The New York Times

Interesting "stuff"
What Hackers Want More Than Your Credit Card Number

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Google app connects Android smartwatch to iPhone

Interesting "stuff"

Motorized Paper Airplanes Are Drones, According To FAA

Shades:
^I like my DVDs; they're not electronic and have no moving parts and are not likely to suddenly go DOA and lose all my backup data.
But I also like the mini-pc; unitized & modular, little to go wrong, portable, relatively inexpensive (not counting peripherals) and easy to replace with a functional up-to-date unit (unless it no longer handles an older OS).
-bit (September 01, 2015, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since I live in Paraguay I have noticed that the hardware you can buy for PC's is of lesser quality. Manufacturers do not send their best products to the South-American market. This is very clear with DVD players and burners. I wish I was kidding, but when you burn a dvd here it is not a given that the same burner is able to read it next week...and strangely enough after 6 months the section that gave read problems before, moved on the disc.

This happens with original discs as well. Alignment and calibration varies because of shoddier build quality, temperature and humidity.

The whole system is so unreliable that in the store room more than 20 different dvd burners are lying there without a job. Whenever I need to restore a backup I had burned to disc I take 4 or 5 of them and try if the backup is retrievable with that set of drives. 

A stark contrast with hooking up an portable hard disk enclosure and start working right away at speeds DVD's only can dream about. And with hard disk prices as they are, DVD's barely beat the price/storage-capacity ratio of the hard disk.

Just sayin'. 

bit:
^I'm really sorry to hear of your DVD problems in Paraguay.
Since reseating my ram, my DVD burner & disks work perfectly.
But if I could afford to trade my mid-tower pc and DVD burner & disks for a mini-pc setup with 4-8GB ram and whatever peripherals I needed, I do believe I would be tempted to make the switch.
For a basic noninclusive list of mini-pc peripherals, I would need 3 duplicate HDs and cloning unit, 2 thumb drives, and I think I would actually try for an external DVD burner anyways.
Also to be able to plug in my vintage 286 key-click keyboard.
My DVD backup burning activities typically come in the 5MB to 10MB range, rarely 20MB or 30MB or more.

edit: Come to think of it, generically speaking, a DVD and a thumb drive are both 'removable media' with 'no moving parts'; so a set of 2, 3, or 4 identical large capacity, high data-rate transfer thumb drives would make a suitable upgrade/replacement for DVD disks.
To avoid virus hits or other hazards, the thumb drives would need to normally only be plugged in just long enough to write or read the backup data, and be unplugged all the rest of the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version